I-485 processing time?

penpen

Registered Users (C)
I just got my I-485 receipt but it says it is taking 990-999 days to process. Anyone knows whether it really needs that long to process I-485 or it's just the estimated maximum processing time. I am in the NIW category and in Texas center. Thanks a lot!

I too applied under NIW (EB-2) category (CSC). In my I-485 reciept its mentioned that its taking between 160-180 days.

bjags,

"I too applied under NIW (EB-2) category (CSC). In my I-485 reciept its mentioned that its taking between 160-180 days."

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I-485 taking ONLY 160-180??

Can you please confirm this again??

Also, please let us know the details of your I-140 and I-485 and if you filed concurrent.

Thanks

GCchaahiye,

I checked my I-485 reciept notice once again. Its written 160-180 days. But, are you supposed to take this seriously. Its already 120 days since I got that reciept and I still have not got any FP notice. I dont know if they differentiate if you are EB-1 or EB-2 or EB-3 at I-485 stage. No matter what you category is it all depends on your reciept date I guess. I maybe wrong. Anyway here are my I-140 details.

Applied myself under NIW category (RD Jan 25, 2002, which said taking between 30-60 days) got an RFE in July (they asked for more testimonial letters from people I didnt know and who work at National Institutes like NIH, NCI, CDC etc explaining that my work is in National Interest). Got letters and replied the RFE myslef a week before the deadline (Oct 12) and got my I-140 approval on Nov11, 2002. Had to wait for some months to get my Birth Certificate from India and filed I-485 in May (ND 05/16/03, RD 5/18/03). Since then no word from BCIS.

By the way in one of the chat transcripts (murthy.com) somebody was curious about the time frame for AP (advance Parole). Normally one gets it in 90 days but he had a reciept stating that its taking 300-400 days. She replied back saying that the clerk might have pressed the wrong button. I hope it holds true for penpen's case too (900-999 days)

bjags,

I am not worried about the time frame given to penpen, as we know that it is too bad to be true.

I was thinking about the time frame given to you as 160-180 seems to be too good to be true!

But I sincerely hope it IS true for you,so you can end this torment.

Could you also detail as to how many letters (from known but not worked with,unknown, worked with) you submitted with the original petition? And how many more did you submit as reply to the RFE? Did they just ask for more independent letters in the RFE? No other questions in the RFE?

Last edited by a moderator:
GCchaahiye,

First time I sent 7 letters from big shots. Unfortunately they were all from my collaborators. Most of them looked like recos rather than testimonials, which the BCIS emphasizes. I considered myself lucky that atleast I got an RFE rather than an outright reject letter. By the time I was to reply my rfe I got a couple of papers published and citation of one important paper grew. Also one of the compounds I made was being used at national institute and hence got a letter from department head on an institute letterhead. Got two from Heads of Medical centers (courtesy my collaborator) and couple more from my seniors who are faculty in prestigious Universities. Regarding the RFE questions there were five. The summary of all the questions was the same , how do you prove that your work is in the National interest. The bottomline is get around 7-8 letters really good ones (testimonials and not just recos) from people totally unknown to you. How you get it depends a bit on luck and a lot on your work/publication history.

Last edited by a moderator:
GCchaahiye,

The collaborators I mentioned work in various departments of my university. So obviously I know them. Its not hard to figure out why I got an rfe question relating to that.