I-485 pending, EAD application issues. Please Help

Kaiya

Registered Users (C)
My husband got his 485-based EAD last year but has never used it for work - he got H-1B.

Now we both plan to apply for EAD. My question is what we should do with his previous EAD? How long is EAD valid for? Anyway, by the time he may need to use EAD, his previous one must have expired.

I now only know that we can do efile.

Any info concerning the above questions and e-file procedure will be appreciated.

Kaiya said:
My husband got his 485-based EAD last year but has never used it for work - he got H-1B.

Now we both plan to apply for EAD. My question is what we should do with his previous EAD? How long is EAD valid for? Anyway, by the time he may need to use EAD, his previous one must have expired.

I now only know that we can do efile.

Any info concerning the above questions and e-file procedure will be appreciated.
Your EAD card will have the validity period printed on it -- its very prominent - you won't miss it.
Its usually valid for 1 yr from when it was first issued.

If the previous EAD has expired, it has no value -- you need to get a new EAD if you want to work based on EAD (which you don't have to since you have H-1)

See the sticky on the EAD forum for details & FAQ.

BTW, paper-file processing is faster than e-file for EAD - surprising, but true.

Just want to share with my experience. I got the approval and EAD card within a month from e-filing. I guess it really depends.

max2k1 is correct. At the bottom of the EAD it would say "CARD VALID FROM xx/xx/xx EXPIRES xx/xx/xx". It is generally advised to apply for renewal at least 4 to 6 months in advance. Does not matter if you use it or using H1.

Thanks, everyone! Something confusing here

Should my husband's EAD application be a renewal case? Again, he got it but never used it, and now it has expired.

Many Thanks.

Kaiya said:
Should my husband's EAD application be a renewal case? Again, he got it but never used it, and now it has expired.

Many Thanks.
Since he already had a EAD (however old it might be) based on this pending 485, he would apply as "renewal"

It doesn't matter when the old EAD expired.

I did this

I applied for an EAD although I have H1 ...just in case. Never used it. It expired in a year. Applied for reneewal 3months before expiry date and got the second EAD in a month. I haven't used that also.
Keeping an EAD handy should be helpful if you want to change jobs and the employer is not ready to sponser H1. Also, I think you can be doing a second job with the EAD (could be part time job or full time?).

jghsrapt said:
Also, I think you can be doing a second job with the EAD (could be part time job or full time?).
Yes - you can do a second job using EAD .... but remember this ....
Using your EAD (even for a part-time job) automatically invalidates your H1.
So you'll have to start using your EAD for your full time job as well (basically if you use EAD for one job, you'll have to use it for all of your jobs) ... you'll no longer be in H status.

Its not a big deal -- but some folks here want to retain their H status for as long as possible :)

Thanks !

Certainly very smart of you to have done that.

jghsrapt said:
I applied for an EAD although I have H1 ...just in case. Never used it. It expired in a year. Applied for reneewal 3months before expiry date and got the second EAD in a month.

Certainly very smart of you to have done that. We want to have EAD as a backup plan too. But my husband's EAD already expired. I guess he need a renewal instead of a new application anyway?

Thanks for your reply.