I-485 Passport Stamping Process

NallaRaj

Registered Users (C)
Here is a detailed note on I-485 Passport Stamping Process:

Passport Stamping Process

After getting I485 approval notice, we need to go for Passport Stamping. It is called ADIT (I don’t know what ADIT means) Processing or I-89 Processing. During this process, the INS examiner takes fingerprint of the right index finger and gets signature specimens. The fingerprint and signature will be used to manufacture Alien Registration Card (i.e. Green Card). The examiner will also place I-551 stamp in your passport. The stamp serves as temporary evidence of your lawful permanent status, and serves as evidence that you have employment authorization; it enables you travel internationally while the Alien Registration Card is being manufactured.

The contents of the I-551 stamp are as follows:

PROCESSED FOR I-551.
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
PERMANENT RESIDENCE
VALID UNTIL
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED.

COA
POE
DOE
SNJ//Date

In the COA line, INS Examiner writes E26 for primary applicant, E27 for spouse, E28 for children.

Clock for the 5-year wait for citizenship application starts from the date specified against DOE.

Besides the above, INS Examiner notes the following in the same page:
Alien Number that was assigned to the applicant (same as the one that appears in the I485 Receipt notice)
A new WAC number different from the one found on I-485 Receipt Notice.
He also writes “I-485 Approved. I-89 Processed “

What to carry for the I-551 stamping?

Mandatory:
1. Courtesy Copy of the Permanent Residence Approval Notice
2. Two (2) ADIT style color photos (similar to the one taken for I-485 application, but should have been taken within 30 days prior to the Stamping date). Write the name and alien number on the back of the photos in pencil.
3. Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Card)
4. Passport
5. Original EAD Card (if you have applied and got one)
6. Original Advance Parole Authorization (if you have applied and got one)

INS examiner keeps everything and returns the passport only.

Level-1 Back-up (To show if INS examiner asks)
1. Original Permanent Residence Approval Notice
2. Original I-140 Approval Notice
3. Driver’s License or any other proof of your current address
4. Original of the latest H1 approval notice
5. Recently–obtained Employment Verification Letter from employer
6. Latest pay-stub

Level-2 Back-up. (If you want to be extra careful, you can carry the following:
1. All the original documents which you used for filing Green card
2. Marriage Photos
3. Last Tax Return

I have coined the phrases Level-1 and Level-2 Backups. You may call it X or Y. Doesn’t matter. Depending upon your confidence level (depends on many attributes which vary from person to person), you will choose to carry or not to carry Level-1 and Level-2 Back-up documents.

During my ADIT (i.e., I-89) processing, I gave the mandatory stuff. Since I did not get the original approval notice in time from my attorney, I went without the original approval notice. INS examiner did not ask for any information specified under Level-1 or Level-2 Back-up. From this forum, I also gather that that is the experience of almost all the people.

In a separate note, I will narrate the stamping experience (i.e., parking, queue, security, token, waiting, facilities within and outside INS Office, INS Office staff, etc.)

Best wishes
NallaRaj

How significant of the within 30-day photos?

Can I use the same ones for I-485 11 months ago?

Thanks in advance

Definitely no

While they have no way of knowing when you took the picture, they can easily compare the photos and if they are the same as that on your EAD/AP etc. they will send you away.

This happened to my wife in Bombay when she went for her visa. The photos she submitted were the same as the one on the passport which was issued a few years before. Had she used any other photo taken years before, she may have gotten away with it. But she had to return the next day with fresh photos. Lessons learnt the hard way.

Come on, its only a few bucks. And if you are going to SFO, there are 2 studios across the street and they take 10 minutes to process. Take a new one. Try and look your best. It is YOUR Green Card.

Thank you very much!!! You are the man!

I will take your advice, Goldengate!

HBC

Arrival/Departure Record

For the I-485 courtesy notice what is this Arrival/Departure record, is this different from I-94 record. Both are mentioned in the list to be produced docs.

I-94 and Arrival/Departure Records Are one and the Same

I-94 and Arrival/Departure Records Are one and the Same. In the list after I-94, what it means is given in parenthesis.