I-485 Partial Medical tests??

jay22

Registered Users (C)
Hi
We are planning to File on July 1 for I-485 after waiting for a long time. But we are thinking to concieve baby.
So is there any way to postpone the medical tests and still file 485
Or Is it possible to do specifc test which are not affecting and can we come back later submit the remaining Tests?. i am sure we have to wait for years to get plastic card!!...
Or will USCIS Dr agrees to come back later for the remaining tests if we tell them we are planning?. Will that be good reason?

Has anybody been to this situations... I heard If i take MMR we cannot concieve the baby for 6 months...is it true? any other tests/vaccines affects?

I appreciate your answers...

Jay

Jay .. except for the Xray, all other tests should be medically ok for a pregnant or would-be pregnant woman (still, better to check with OB/GYN). Xray is needed only if TB Skin test comes up positive.

The only risk you run into is the RFE on missing medicals. This delays the overall processing, and now with USCIS pledging to improve 485 processing by 20% by Sept 2008, your approval may not be too far away (of course dependent on your PD and future retrogression possibilities).

My 2 cents anyways.

Oh, and you need to get vaccines only if you don't have a proof that you had them back in your home country. Since me and my wife came on student visa to do Master's, we had certificate from back home that we had vaccinations. Only my wife needed Titenus since she was not current.

Yes, if you've already had the vaccination(s), you don't need to have them again.

And I believe the latest advice is that women should not become pregnant within 28 days after receiving the MMR, not 6 months as it used to be. I don't believe anything else affects you while trying to conceive.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the medical and then wait 28 days before trying.

Jay,

TB Skin Test: Is supposedly safe for pregnant women as well.

TB Chest X-Ray: Is not needed if the Skin test above turns negative. But if skin test is positive, then INS will require X-ray. X-ray is not recommended for pregnant women. So in this situation, you probably have to wait.

Vaccinations: You don't necessarily have to take the vaccines if you don;t have a record from back in your country. In my wife's case, we did not have a record of her MMR vaccine and so we requested our PCP to take a blood test and do titer to MMR, chicken pox, hepatitisB. The titer showed that she had antibodies to all of these and so that lab test/titer result was accepted by the civil surgeon as proof of immunity.

Hopefully this helps.

I believe the X-ray is actually OK if you're not pregnant. They don't want you to have it while pregnant because the radiation may harm the baby. I haven't seen anything about the radiation harming an un-pregnant woman who is trying to conceive. [But I'm not a doctor, so don't know this for a fact - I've just been trying myself for a long time so checked into this. In fact, one of the standard fertility tests involves an X-ray and you're encouraged to try at the same time.]

But maybe if you just don't start trying until after the medical exam has been done, that would be the safest thing.