I-485 medical: bad situation... please help!

Priya_GC

Registered Users (C)
Hi!

I just learnt today that an RFE has been generated on my case! My husband was approved 3 weeks ago. Most probably the RFE is because I was pregnant when we submitted our application and had not taken TB Skin Test or X-Ray.

The problem is - I am pregnant again... I am in the very early stages of the FIRST trimester.

My question is:

1. Can I do the TB Skin Test? Ideally, I would like to avoid it because I am very early in pregnancy and the fetus is really small. Has anyone done it?

And the more IMPORTANT question:
2. Instead of X-Ray method of testing, can I just do "SPUTUM Smear & Cultures" testing? I read that this method is as effective as X-Ray and gives a definitive answer. Has anyone or anyone you know, done this test for I-485?

Please let me know... I will keep you all posted on the RFE.

Thanks,
Priya

lamonte said:
1. Yes, you can do the TB test.
2. X-ray is not required for the medical.

Yes, you can do the TB test.

Are you a doctor????

X-ray is not required for the medical

Need x-ray if The test become +ve

Last edited by a moderator:
medical

Hi,

When we went to docotor.....first time, he did not do Skin Test for TB. He took x-ray straight away. I know this Doctor is a oldtimer and famous in Atlanta for immigrant people. He wont perform Skin Test. For all(most immigrants) of them he does...X-ray. Nothing to worry. You may go for X-ray test unless there is a medical obstruction as you r pregnant lady. I am not a Doctor. This is an information only.Take your own decision. You need not follow our openion. You can take others openion as well.

Thanks,
skarza

skarza said:
Hi,

When we went to docotor.....first time, he did not do Skin Test for TB. He took x-ray straight away. I know this Doctor is a oldtimer and famous in Atlanta for immigrant people. He wont perform Skin Test. For all(most immigrants) of them he does...X-ray. Nothing to worry. You may go for X-ray test unless there is a medical obstruction as you r pregnant lady. I am not a Doctor. This is an information only.Take your own decision. You need not follow our openion. You can take others openion as well.

Thanks,
skarza

All doctors perform skin test for TB and it is required. What is not required is x-ray if the test result become Negative. The doctor you mentioned is doing business by sending poor immigrants to go to unnecessary x-ray when it is not needed. He actually exploits the immigrant community because most us will do anything when it comes to Green Card process.

wwossen said:
Are you a doctor????

No, but I know this from personal experience. Also, I imagine that if OP were seeking a medical opinion s/he would've contacted an Ob/Gyn.

Medical

Priya,

You must consult your lady doctor (OB/GYN) first and take her advise about possibility of an X-ray if skin test comes positive. If it is harmful and has some
adverse effect on developing baby, you can only try SKin test. As long as your Husband's GC is already approved, there should not be any rush for GC.

What about your vaccination?Is it complete ? As the doctor might even refuse to give any vaccine since you are pregnant.

==
Rohani

AFB test

Thanks for all the replies.

I think, all my vaccinations are complete. So its only for the TB test that I might have problems with.

For TB - I am in doubts whether I should do Skin Test or not (I will be talking to my OB/GYN tomorrow).

I will never take the X-Ray test while I am pregnant.

So no one has heard about the "Sputum Smear/Culture Sensitivity" test? Its official name is "Acid-fast bacillus (AFB) smear, culture, and sensitivity". Any doctors on the forum? Because if this test is allowed, I will do it even though it is kind of expensive and also time consuming (you have to visit the doctor for 3 consecutive days, early morning to give the sputum samples for testing). I need to confirm it is allowed...

Anyone heard of this test?

Thanks!
Priya

Hi Priya,

Sorry i coudln't answer your question.

I am exactly in ur situation, i am in third trimester, and didn't get RFE so far. I just wanted to find out from you, how much time they give to reply to RFE.

Thank you,
mala

I have not received the RFE in hand yet... just got the RFE email.

Does anyone know how long do they give to respond to an RFE? Do they write a specific deadline date by which you have to respond?

Priya

Typically they give 90 days time to respond to the RFE... Atleast that is the timeline I had in my RFE (EVL). Yes, they do specify the deadline before which you should respond to the RFE. They go on to add that not responding to the RFE will not abandon the case. They would consider that as if you are telling them to make a decision on the case with the information they have....

Priya_GC said:
So is it 90 days from the day the RFE was issued or when we receive the RFE in mail?

Priya,

The RFE will have the due date for reply printed in bold letters on the first page. It is 90 days from the date of issue.

I am wondering how sure you are that the RFE is on medical? It could be anything else also. Please have a look at the RFE before you go for any tests.

Please never take the X-ray in pregnancy, I have heard horror stories.

Best of luck on your GC and the baby.

Planet3rd

Planet3rd, thanks for your reply.

I am pretty confident it is medical because that was possibly the only thing that was incomplete on my application. Its a very straight-forward case. I will keep everyone posted - as to what exact RFE I get. The RFE was issued on Feb 23, 2005. I have still not received it? Anything to worry about? Will my lawyer get it or will it be sent to my home address?

Priya

Priya_GC said:
Planet3rd, thanks for your reply.

I am pretty confident it is medical because that was possibly the only thing that was incomplete on my application. Its a very straight-forward case. I will keep everyone posted - as to what exact RFE I get. The RFE was issued on Feb 23, 2005. I have still not received it? Anything to worry about? Will my lawyer get it or will it be sent to my home address?

Priya

Priya,

Your attorney should get it, if you have filed through attorney. At least in my case that was it. On average it takes about 10 days to reach. You should be getting it anytime now. Please take care of yourself and the life within yourself and -- do not worry. Everything will be fine. Best of luck.