I-485 interview

culfee

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I recently received a letter from the local BCIS informing me that my husband and I need to appear for an interview regarding my application for adjustment of status. I had some questions regarding this I was hoping someone could answer.

1) My case is employment based - why the interview ?
2) When will I get the approval after the interview ?
3) Can I travel outside the country (with AP)after the interview and before I get the approval for AOS ?
3) What happens if for some reason the BCIS does not approve my AOS and I happen to be outside the country ?

Thanks
Culfee

Originally posted by culfee
Hi,
I recently received a letter from the local BCIS informing me that my husband and I need to appear for an interview regarding my application for adjustment of status. I had some questions regarding this I was hoping someone could answer.

1) My case is employment based - why the interview ?
2) When will I get the approval after the interview ?
3) Can I travel outside the country (with AP)after the interview and before I get the approval for AOS ?
3) What happens if for some reason the BCIS does not approve my AOS and I happen to be outside the country ?

Thanks
Culfee

1. No one knows for sure but marriage after (or soon before) I-485 filing, change of employer etc. are possible reasons. Also, BCIS picks certain cases at random for interviews.

2. Depends on the local office. It can vary any where from a month to a year (or longer).

3. Yes. If you are not approved after the interview, make sure you collect back the I-94, AP, EAD etc.

4. Usually your appl. is not denied outright. You are sent a "NOID" (notice of intent to deny). So you will have an opportunity to appeal.

K.S.