I-485 Interview

aanl

Registered Users (C)
My case was transferred to a local office for processing. The office scheduels an interview with me this month.

Does anyone have idea of the reason that some cases are transferred to the local office rather than be processed in Nebraska Service Center?

Thanks

Aanl:

From what I heard from my attorney there seems to be no logical pattern or reason for them to do this. Although I do believe the chance of being interviewed will continue to decline. In the interview, they would ask you whatever has been asked. So do not worry.

What triggers an interview? He personally thinks those guys will have a bigger chance:

defensive asylee
RTD requested many times
the country of prosecution has changed regime

Again, that is just his second-guessing.

Hope this is helpful.

windywd said:
Aanl:

From what I heard from my attorney there seems to be no logical pattern or reason for them to do this. Although I do believe the chance of being interviewed will continue to decline. In the interview, they would ask you whatever has been asked. So do not worry.

What triggers an interview? He personally thinks those guys will have a bigger chance:

defensive asylee
RTD requested many times
the country of prosecution has changed regime

Again, that is just his second-guessing.

Hope this is helpful.
Hi windywd, thanks for sharing the nformation. What does "defensive asylee" mean? I've never heard of this term.

Defensive asylee is the asylee granted by Immigation Judge.

He sees no interviews for those granted by Immigration.

aanl,

When did they transfer your case to the local office? They transferrred my case to the local office in May and I still have not heard from them!

Gino

Gino,

They transferred the case in Feb before local office sent an interview notice in June.

What does "defensive asylee" mean?

There are three major routes which an alien could use to request asylum. Most aliens make their claim by filing at an Asylum Office. These aliens are sometimes referred to as “affirmative asylum seekers”. Some aliens arrive at a port of entry without documents or with fraudulent documents and are at risk of expedited removal. These aliens may make a claim to asylum and they will be referred to an Asylum Officer if the Inspector believes they may have a credible fear of persecution. The Asylum Officer determines if a credible fear of persecution exists. If so, the alien is referred to the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) for adjudication of the claim. Aliens with a negative finding from the Asylum Officer may also appeal to EOIR. These aliens are sometimes referred to as “credible fear cases”. The third asylum route includes aliens in removal proceedings who make their claim to asylum during the proceeding before EOIR. These aliens are sometimes referred to as “defensive asylum seekers”.

Last edited by a moderator:
aanl,

Thanks. After you interview, could you please share your exprience with us.

Gino

Gino,

Interview went very well.

The district jurisdiction officer is very nice and went over information on my G325 only.

He asked me for two new-style photos for green card and had me fingerprint for biometrics.

aanl,

Glad to hear your interview went well. So, they will send your case back to Nebraska for final approval, right? Did give any time frame in which they will approve it?

Gino

Gino,

Local office is not going to send my case back to Nebraska Service Center and they will process my case in the local office instead.

Time frame was not provided during the interview. I think approval will be quite soon.

Remember coming back to this lead and I will keep you informed of advancement .

aanl

Last edited by a moderator:
aanl,

Thanks, please do let me know when you get approved. The reason I assumed that they will send your case to Nebraska was that a couple of people on this forrum mentioned that their cases were seny back to Nebraska for final approval after thier intervies.

This is great that they will approve your case at the local office, it will definitely be sooner.

Gino

aanl,

My ND is Dec. 99, and I'm happy and surprized at the same time that they are approving cases from Oct. 2000! I don't know how the hell the people at CIS function!

Gino