I-485 interview@Boston - Deal done!

BostonFish

Registered Users (C)
I'm happy to inform you all that our struggle for US green card is finally over! Yesterday(7/14), we(me and my wife) were interviewed at Boston office and were given with our approval notice and stamped passports. Many thanks to folks at immigrationportal.com, murthy.com, and my lawyer.

My case background:
Had I-140 approved before getting laid off from my previous empoyer(Company A). After joing my present company(Company B), we filed for our I-485(11/30/01) using future job employment letter from Company A. Our cases were transfered to Boston office on 5/9/03 for an interview on 7/14/03. We were also asked to give our second FP during 6/03.

Interview Day:
We were in JFK building by 2pm for our 2.30pm & 3pm interviews. Our lawyer had us sign and finger print(index finger only) a form(I don't remember the name of the form) which he later handed over to a receptionist in interview waiting room(room number E-170). We had to wait for more than an hour to be called. At 3.25pm, an officer(VERY NICE GUY) called both of us and we followed him to his room along with our lawyer.
The officer asked us to stand and raise our right hands. Officer also said some words(I can't remember what it was) and we said YES to him. We were asked the following docs by the officer:
Passport(With I-94), EAD, SSN card, Employment letter, pay stubs, birth certificate, marriage certificate, 2002 tax return, previous employment termination letter.
Officer verified all original documents and kept copies of some of the documents like tax return, I-140 approval copy, birth certificate.

Following questions related to employment were asked:
1) Who do you work for? - Company B
2) Did company B file for your I-485 - No
3) Has it been more than 6 months since you filed your I-485? - Yes
4) Who filed for I-485 - Company A
5) When and how long did you work for company A?
6) Do you have employment termination letter from company A? - Unfortunately i don't have it with me right now. It's at home.
7) Where is your current company(B) located?
8) What's your title?

Other interview questions were pretty standard ones. Some questions were related to personal information and some were related to standard Federal govt questions(like have you ever commited any crime?). Interview with the officer lasted for about 25 minutes.

The officer took our I-94s and EADs. Looks like our security checks were done before. Around 3.50pm, the officer told us that he's gonna check whether the visa numbers are available(We were holding our breath). By looking at his watch, the officer doubted whether he could check the visa numbers. Our lawyer said to the officer that it would be nice if the officer could check it for us. The officer left the room and came back after 5 minutes. He asked us to leave our passports and EADs and wait outside.

After 15-20 minutes, the officer came out with approval letter and stamped passports. He mentioned that we shall be getting our plastic cards by 3-4 months.

At this time. that's all i can remember about our interview. If you folks have any questions, feel free to ask me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RD: 11/30/01
TD: 5/9/03
2nd FP: 6/03
ID: 7/14/03
AD: 7/14/03

Lots of Congratulations to both of you and thanks very much for the detailed information. Many will be helped with your experience.

Congratulations!!!! It really feels good to know that they are doing stamping on the same day. We have our interview on August 5th. Hope all goes well.

Enjoy your freedom.

Toughdba.

congrat's Boston fish, enjoy the freedom ...and...free from tension. .
can you let me know if your interview letter, speciffically mentioned for you to get the 2002 tax returns. ?
why do you think the INS officer asked you for tax returns of 2002 why not last 3 years tax returns.

I485get,
Our interview letter hadn't mentioned specifically anything about tax returns. It seems our interview letter was stanadard one asking us to bring Passports, I-94s, Employment letter(if case is realted to Employment). Marriage certificate was implicitly mentioned.

We took all the documents that we had submitted while filing our I-485s.

Congratulations ! (some questions)

CONGRATULATIONS to u !!

Couple of questions:

1. Is it mandatory to have the job in the same state/ area ?
2. Let's say, I switched jobs (b'cause of involuntary termination), and got a job in different state, but my spouse is still living at the original address and am still getting all my mail at the old address (implying am maintaining my old resi.). In such situation should one file form AR-11 ??

Any response, much appreciated..

gcfarmer,
I wish i had the expertise to answer your questions. I'm sorry that i can't answer your questions. But i can tell you that one require some kind of luck particularly in situations like us.

If you're lucky, you'll get your approval without being called for any interviews. Since there are no crystal memos, individual officers will interpret such requirements as yours in their own way.

Boston fish - Can i know you lawyer name & phone number

Boston fish - Can i know you lawyer name & phone number

BostonFish, why you get an interview date two month after transferred? I thought it takes 4-6 months at Boston.

DengDeng,
I should say i had little luck in getting my interview scheduled in less time(compared to normal of 4-6 months) from the date of our case transfers. I can't think of any other things other than little luck.