i-485 Denied

mwemawangu

Registered Users (C)
I received a denial letter (2 days ago) for I-485 under the grounds that the labor Certification filing was not received on time. The labor Certification was filed on April 30th (certified mail), but was not received at the DOL until 5/2. Where there applications supposed to have been received on April 30th or mailed by April 30th? Either way, what are my choices and how can I proceed? I don’t ant to loose the PD after waiting for all these years!

EB3 world
PD 5/2/01

Hi,

When you try to file 485 and it got denied right ?

If above question is yes then

I feel they denied because of your priority date is not current.

As per the feb bulletin for worldwide EB3 priority date is 22APR01.

You may have to wait for march bulletin and see.

Thanks

I am just a lay man....

Do not wait

You need to file a motion to reopen or appeal as soon as possible. You need to have a lawyer do this for you. I do not think your I-485 got denied because of PD. If your PD is not current, then they would wait and until is current and then apporve your application. Act nowwwwww.

Last edited by a moderator:
SAMBOCICO said:
You need to file a motion to reopen or appeal as soon as possible. You need to have a lawyer do this for you. I do not think your I-485 got denied because of PD. If your PD is not current, then they would wait and until is current and then apporve your application. Act nowwwwww.

Thanks both for your replies. I was not filing i485, they were ajudicating it. My file was transfered to Philly June last year, had my interview July 5th 05 and then got a denial letter. Their reason was that I missed the April 30th Deadline (and used the PD 5/2/01), but my application was postmarked April 30th.

Do you know how long a mition or an appeal before they make a decision?

Your posting is very confused. I guess you are talking about the 245i. Your I485 was denied due to your ineligibility of the 245(i). Although your LC filing package has the postmark of April 30, 2001, it does not mean the DOL must receive your LC on that day. You almost have no chance to win the MTR unless you can prove your LC was received by the DOL on April 30, 2001 and unless you can have your PD changed from 5-2 to 4-30-2001.

Have a look at http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/advisories/245irem.htm

It is not necessary to apply for Section 245(i) adjustment of status on or before April 30, 2001. However, eligible persons must have either an immigrant visa petition filed on their behalf with the INS—or a labor certification application filed on their behalf with the Department of Labor (DOL)—by that date. The immigrant visa petition must be either received by the INS or, if mailed, postmarked on or before April 30, 2001. The labor certification application must be filed with DOL according to DOL rules on or before April 30, 2001.

Based on this I'd definately contact an attorney to discss options. Your attorney should have been aware of the filing date requirements back when your original LC was prepared.

Can you recommend a good option for him whose LC PD was 5-2-2001 and he wanted to file I485 based on the 245i or the MTR?

compiler said:
Can you recommend a good option for him whose LC PD was 5-2-2001 and he wanted to file I485 based on the 245i or the MTR?

I am very hopeful. I understand that the rule was changed to use "Sunset Date Approach" where by as lond as the app was postmarked April 30th, it should have been accepted. Should I then go back to DOL for them to chane the date?

mwemawangu said:
I am very hopeful. I understand that the rule was changed to use "Sunset Date Approach" where by as lond as the app was postmarked April 30th, it should have been accepted. Should I then go back to DOL for them to chane the date?

The links below discuss the sunset date approach, but do not specifically mention it applying also to the LC.

http://immigrationlinks.com/news/news899.htm
http://usvisainfo.com/object/pdf/245i/adjustment.pdf
http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news773.htm

I don't want to sound negative with the above, but have you discussed this with an attorney either at the time of original filing or after the denial??

I think its important to act quickly and get a professional opinion, especially if you are now out of status.

Please note that the information you receive here is NOT legal advice and is only our interpretation of the information available.

pcc said:
The links below discuss the sunset date approach, but do not specifically mention it applying also to the LC.

http://immigrationlinks.com/news/news899.htm
http://usvisainfo.com/object/pdf/245i/adjustment.pdf
http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news773.htm

I don't want to sound negative with the above, but have you discussed this with an attorney either at the time of original filing or after the denial??

I think its important to act quickly and get a professional opinion, especially if you are now out of status.

Please note that the information you receive here is NOT legal advice and is only our interpretation of the information available.

Thanks pcc for your help. I talked to an attony and he said that as far as he can remember, the rule was changed and DOL should have used the post mark date. If that is the case, I think I will be OK, but if not, how long does the motion to re-open a case take before a decision is made?

unfortuantely I don't know how long it would take. Like many on this forum, I'm simply waiting for my case to processed....

good luck and I hope it all works out in your favor!!

mwemawangu said:
...I talked to an attony and he said that as far as he can remember, the rule was changed and DOL should have used the post mark date. If that is the case, I think I will be OK, but if not, how long does the motion to re-open a case take before a decision is made?
Ask your attorney to find out that rule rather than remember. Did your MTR include that rule? If you can, please post that rule here, that the DOL should use the postmark as the PD or filing date. You may want to know the difference between the immigration filing and LC filing when trying the 245(i).

compiler said:
Ask your attorney to find out that rule rather than remember. Did your MTR include that rule? If you can, please post that rule here, that the DOL should use the postmark as the PD or filing date. You may want to know the difference between the immigration filing and LC filing when trying the 245(i).

What does MTR stand for?

Please see the link below:

http://www.ows.doleta.gov/dmstree/espl/es2k1/espl_03-01.htm

AILA ADVOCACY UPDATE
Vol. 5, No. 6, April 27, 2001

IN THIS ISSUE:**
Section 245(i) Extension Bills and INS Procedures for Filing;
Supreme Court Hears Two IIRAIRA Cases;
Senator Helms Leads Congressional Visit to Mexico;
Summit of Americas Addresses Immigration;
H-1Bs and the Economy;
Recently Introduced Legislation;
Media Spotlight – Washington Post Highlights Contributions of Undocumented Workers;
AILA Members and Staff in the News;
Issues in the News.

ADDITIONAL SECTION 245(i) EXTENSION BILLS
INTRODUCED AS DEADLINE APPROACHES;
INS AND DOL ISSUE PROCEDURES
FOR LAST-MINUTE FILINGS
With the April 30 deadline approaching for filing petitions and labor certification applications to preserve eligibility under Section 245(i), more members of Congress are indicating their strong support for an extension by introducing legislation.* Senators Edward Kennedy (D-MA), Chuck Hagel (R-NE), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and Hillary Clinton (D-NY) have introduced S. 778 that would extend the Section 245(i) deadline for one year, until April 30, 2002. This bill join two bills already introduced in the House:* H.R. 1242, introduced by Representative Peter King (R-NY) that would extend the deadline for six months, and H.R. 1195, introduced by Representative Charles Rangel (D-NY) that would extend the deadline for one year.
Proponents of Section 245(i) acknowledge that an extension will not take place before the April 30 deadline; however, supporters are working to move an extension bill as quickly as possible.* Once Congress adopts this extension, we will continue to urge the passage of a permanent restoration of Section 245(i).* In the meantime, the April 30 deadline is fast approaching.* The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the Department of Labor (DOL) have sent guidance to their field offices about accommodating last-minute filings.
The INS has stated that it will accept for filing any petition that is postmarked by April 30 as meeting the deadline. However, practitioners and applicants are urged to use a delivery service that will provide a record of receipt, and to keep proof of the postmark, in case the agency loses or misplaces a filing. INS also has issued guidance to the field regarding acceptance of skeletal filings to preserve future eligibility: “Immigrant visa petitions may be filed initially without all of the necessary information for the Service to adjudicate the petition. However, a visa petition will not qualify an alien for grandfathering unless the Service can determine, based on the available information, that the petition was approvable when filed.” The Service is not requiring that District Offices remain open until midnight on April 30, believing that the postmark rule may alleviate the need for individuals to file in-person before the deadline. However, a survey of District Offices indicates that most will be open until midnight on April 30. Practitioners and applicants should contact their local INS office to confirm hours of operation.
The DOL is not using the postmark rule.* In order to preserve eligibility for Section 245(i) adjustment, the local State Employment Service Agency (SESA) must receive an application for labor certification before midnight on April 30. Again, practitioners and applicants are strongly urged to use a delivery method that provides proof of receipt in case the agency loses or misplaces the filing. The DOL has recommended that SESAs, “accommodat[e] last minute submittals by making arrangements for receiving hand delivered applications (walk-ins) and marking the submittals as to the date received.” Practitioners and applicants should verify with their SESA the procedures in place for last-minute filings.
With regard to date-stamping, DOL has reminded the state agencies that all filings received at the office by midnight on April 30, including cases received in post office boxes established for receiving filings, must be date-stamped for April 30, even if the actual stamping occurs several days later. DOL also has advised state agencies that filings received that are not complete should be returned to the employer to be completed and the employer has 45 days to respond before the filing will be rejected. Furthermore, all filings must have an ETA 750A (Employer) form. Any filing without this form must be rejected, and will not preserve eligibility under Section 245(i).

mwemawangu said:
The DOL is not using the postmark rule.* In order to preserve eligibility for Section 245(i) adjustment, the local State Employment Service Agency (SESA) must receive an application for labor certification before midnight on April 30. Again, practitioners and applicants are strongly urged to use a delivery method that provides proof of receipt in case the agency loses or misplaces the filing.

I think you answered your original question with the above text. You need have proof of delivery at DOL/SESA before midnight. Postmark for LC is not sufficient in this scenario.

MTR = Motion To Reopen

As Compiler said, you need to get actual confirmation from your atty rather than relying on his memory. USCIS will require specific proof rather than what the attorney seems to recall.

The link he referred is an advised letter rather than the policy. Moreover, you are dealing with the USCIS. Your job is to have your PD changed from the 5-2 to 4-30-2001. If you can, you will win the MTR; otherwise…… Everyone should understand what the filing means because you are frequently dealing with filing petition. Filing is more important than mailing. They are not same!