I-485 arrest question issue-Please help/advice

alrova2

Hi, i got and inteview letter for my I-485 and after talking to my attorney he is guessing that it is because of my arrest 2 years ago.

On the question:
1. Have you ever, in or outside the United States:

b. been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?

I answered NO because my arrest was a reckless driving that was dismissed. I READ excluding traffic violation as for the arrest and i guess I made the mistake.

Now my attorney wants 2500 dollars as a retainer to provide a letter of why i answered NO on top of the 500 for going to the interview.

I know is my fault, any advice besides paying the 3K and hope for the best?

Thanks I am in Houston Texas

Was your arrest based on Driving Under Influence (DUI), if so, i think they introduced/proposed (not sure) a new rule stating they will consider you DUI records in the Last 3/5 years. Check with some else.

Was your arrest based on Driving Under Influence (DUI), if so, i think they introduced/proposed (not sure) a new rule stating they will consider you DUI records in the Last 3/5 years. Check with some else.

No, it was just speeding 85 on a 55 but the officer arrested me for reckless driving. Case dismmised. SO that is why i put no because it was a traffic violation. Thanks

what.??!!

arrested for driving 85 in 55 zone..! never heard of that...u might get heavy points and heavy fine...but not arrested..maybe if it was DUI in that speed...

I doubt it could be cos of that....check in other forums too if your case is considered as criminal charge...

what.??!!

arrested for driving 85 in 55 zone..! never heard of that...u might get heavy points and heavy fine...but not arrested..maybe if it was DUI in that speed...

I doubt it could be cos of that....check in other forums too if your case is considered as criminal charge...

Thanks, as far as i know it is a minsdiminor (sp). New laws allow cops to arrest you if they consider you should be arrested. At the court it was a 5 minute deal, dissmissed.

Thanks, as far as i know it is a minsdiminor (sp). New laws allow cops to arrest you if they consider you should be arrested. At the court it was a 5 minute deal, dissmissed.

It is not new, it was all the time. Although I think it depends on state.
One insurance guy told me that each time when your speed is higher than 82MpH, you face the risk to be arrested and get reckless driving ticket.

Take Virginia, if you go beyond 30MPH over speed limit, they arrest you and lock you up for a day or so.

alrova2, just go to the interview and tell them the truth, that was the first time and you never repeated it. whats the big deals many of us got speeding ticket so. Be bold.

god..!! I got a ticket once at 81-82 miles on a 65 zone in PA..It was unlucky as I was just going with the flow of the traffic and was driving on the right lane and so was caught easily by the cop... so be watchful and keep yourself in the center track to save yourself from a ticket ;)
anyway...I got a ticket for for 160$,so that was the event for that long weekend...

You're only driving 17 mph over the limit so that's just a ticket. But try (if you dare) to go over 30 mph and you'll end up getting arrested for reckless driving.