I-485 Approved while overseas

steve-o

Registered Users (C)
What happens if an I-485 cases was approved while the applicant is overseas? Do they have a certain period in which they have to enter the US? Can the GC be delivered to them by a relative member and they can enter with it?

Thanks!

What happens if an I-485 cases was approved while the applicant is overseas? Do they have a certain period in which they have to enter the US? Can the GC be delivered to them by a relative member and they can enter with it?

Thanks!

Even i was thinking along that line....but this is from my attorney.

No, you cant use your GC card to sent to overseas, and then use to enter.

YOu should enter with mean you left the country - means if you have AP then enter the country with your AP before its expiration, or any VISA stamping. I believe if your GC is approved then you cant use any of your VISA. In that case you could only use your AP to enter.

Check with your attorney for more clarification.

Even i was thinking along that line....but this is from my attorney.

No, you cant use your GC card to sent to overseas, and then use to enter.

YOu should enter with mean you left the country - means if you have AP then enter the country with your AP before its expiration, or any VISA stamping. I believe if your GC is approved then you cant use any of your VISA. In that case you could only use your AP to enter.

Check with your attorney for more clarification.

Thanks for your reply goodphysq. If the AOS gets approved while outside the US, do you have a specific time limit to enter? Or is it before the AP expires? Can you extend the AP from overseas?

Thanks for your reply goodphysq. If the AOS gets approved while outside the US, do you have a specific time limit to enter? Or is it before the AP expires? Can you extend the AP from overseas?

Yes, you need your AP to re-enter before it expires. You cant extend your AP from overseas.

Think it this way, there were 100 of thousands applications (I-485) filed last year alone. If all of them decide to leave the country for one reason or other, and decide to re-enter after they get thier GC approved (which might happend several years from now)- that doesnt make sense, right?

Bottom line - you can travel using the AP which you have in your hand (approved AP), and re-enter using it before it expires. :confused:

I did some research last week, and thats how i know.

I have just contacted my lawyer on this issue, and he said that you have to enter using the GC to establish your residency.

Now it is confusing!

I have just contacted my lawyer on this issue, and he said that you have to enter using the GC to establish your residency.

Now it is confusing!

I am very confisued! Just like you Aggie! I heard different stories from different ppl. Not sure what is right and what is not!

If your AOS got approved, and you leave the country, but youstill didnt get your GC, would that be fine to have it mailed overseas and enter with it??