I-485 approved. My PP is valid for 8 months. Is it ok? Please help.

sri12

Registered Users (C)
Dear all:

My I-485 got approved on Jun 29th 2004 and got the courtesy copy on July 3rd.

I am planning to go for PP stamping on Jul 14th. My PP is valid only till Mar 2005. Is that ok? I appreciate your feedback.

Here is my history of events.
Came to US in 96
Filed for Labor in at NY(NON RIR EB3) in Dec 97!
Labor got approved some time in early 2001
I-140 got approved in Dec 2001
I485 filed in Feb 2002
Got My 7th Year H1B in May 2002
Got married and applied for I-485 my spouse in Jul 2002
Got 2 EADs and 2 APs both for my spouse and for myself
Mine got approved AP Jun 29 2004.
Waiting for my spouse I-485 approval.

I wish every one who is waiting for I-485 should get approved soon.

GOD Bless All of us.

-cheers
srini

You can get your passport extended in a day.
They will extend passports one year before its expiry.
Check the Indian Embassy website.

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!!!

If you submit your application before 11 or 11:30am at the Indian Consulate, NY, you can get your new passport at 4 or 4:30pm on the same day. Otherwise, it will be the next day.
You can renew your passport 1 year before the expiry upto 1 year after the expiry of the passport (but you need to get notary public signed if your passport has been expired for more than 6 months).

Hi:

In checking the instructions for Indian passport....

They say that extension can be done only for short validity passports. Mine was originally issued valid for 10 years. Thats the max period for the passport. I have to apply for the new passport.

Does anyone know at New York embassy whether they issue new passport on the same day!

-srini

Yes, they do. You still have the cut-off time by which your application has to be received over the counter if you want it the same day.

Is PP with 8 months validity sufficient for I485 stamping?

My PP is still valid for 8 months. Is that sufficient to get the I485 stamping?
Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
my lawyers response...

the PP shd be valid for atleast 6 months...

So, I am fine. Please post if you have any addl info on top of this!

Thank you guys for your quick response. I really appreciate your help.

-cheers

Carry your GC approval letter and ask for renewal for 10 years. U will get new one with old u one attached. Submit before 11:00...- 11:30 you will get same day between 4:15 to 5:00 PM..
Otherwise the next day.
If you do not carry ur approval letter, they will ask for H1(doc and valid visa stamp). SO better to carry GC approval letter.

You should be fine

I was in the same boat, I went to Indian Embassy for renewal. I dropped my passport in the morning at 9:30 AM and picked up the new along with old "Cancelled" stamped passport in the evening. But when I went to GC stamping yesterday, they didn't even look at the expiry date of passport. I received my attorney response yesterday evening saying that I need not renew my passport, as long as passport doesn't expire, it should be ok.

------------------
AD: 06/25/2004
PS: 07/06/2004

Hi:

1. Did they stamp your I485 approval seal and its validity period in your new passport page or in the old one? (May be silly qn...please bear with me...)

My passport validity was a few days less(I think 1-2 days) than 6 months when I went for stamping at SFO. There was no problem during stamping.
They stamped for 1 year and told me that I should keep the old passport with the new one when I get renewed one.

Thank you guys. I will post my experience after getting stamped on July 14th 2004.

Have a good day.

They will NOT renew the passport, they will issue a New Passport. But it is very easy process and its better to get the New Passport with 10 Years.

Got stamped this morning. Still have a question!

Dear All:

This morning I went to Newark USCIS office at 7:45 and got stamped my passport at 9:50 AM and came out.

They took my
2 EADs (1 old and 1 current)
APs(3 copy of current AP)
2 ADIT photos
Stamped my passport with the following info...

A# , EAC number and a message saying processed for I-551. Temporary Permanent Residence valid until 7/13/2005. Employment authorized.

IS that ALL?

The reason behind my doubt is that for everyone they called them again to give the passport...in my case they gave me in the same counter as soon as collecting my EADs, APs etc.,

I appreciate your comment.

-srini