I-485 approved. My name check experience.

imcaffeine

Registered Users (C)
Many people sent me private messages with questions. I decided to post everything here so that everybody can benefit from it. If you have questions, please also post here and I’ll try my best to answer.

I applied for family-based permanent resident status in November 2005 after married a US citizen. EAD card and Advance Parole were approved in about three months.

We had an interview in city A in March 06 and it went well. But we were informed that my application was stuck at the name check process.

We moved to city B in June 2006 and I informed USCIS with my new address. I called the 1800 number and visited the field office in city B for a few times but got no update whatsoever.

I started my actions in November 2006:
1. I sent a letter to City A’s field office requesting the transfer of my file per city B’s advice during my infopass inquiry.
2. I faxed letters to the FBI (Privacy Act Request), local congressman, senator, and the First Lady (my husband's family is Republican and I mentioned in my letter).

My original letter didn’t indicate that I was female so one person called me from the congressman’s office to figure that out. The first lady’s office also called and they told me that they were going to look into the issue. The senator’s office never contacted me.

(I faxed the letters and attachments to each office. The letters are in the next post. Feel free to use the templates.)

I called the congressman’s office in late December. Somebody there told me that it was going to take 2 months approximately for them to process the request. I needed to be patient. I figured that they were helping me anyways, so I was very polite and nice over the phone. The officer on the other end then wrote down my name and promised me that he would look into it. I believe that good attitude always helps in this kind of situation.

At the same time, I started looking into the WOM process. It looked like WOM no longer worked when I was half way through my research.

I received a letter from the FBI a month after I sent the letter. My background was clean. (Big news!?...lol…)

I went to the field office A after Christmas in 2006 and I was told that my files just got transferred to city B but my name check was still not cleared.

We got another interview in city B in early Jan. 2007. The officer told me that my name check was just cleared, but she needed more files from city A and I needed to wait for another 3-6 months. I was happy at first, then I felt anxious. I had an Infopass within the same week. I was told that my name check was NOT cleared based on their record and the officer probably got confused. It frustrated me in a great deal.

What could I do besides waiting?

Things turned to a promising direction in late February 2007. My local congressman sent me a letter indicating that the office sent a case inquiry to FBI in early Jan. 2007.

In early March this year, the congressman’s office forwarded FBI’s responses that my name check was cleared in late January. It was two weeks after our second interview, so my officer probably was confused afterall. I’m not sure if the first lady’s office or the congressman’s office helped, or maybe both.

A week or two later, in late March, the congressman’s office followed up with another letter that my A files were transferred from the USCIS central office to city B’s field office. Furthermore, the congressman sent a letter to the field office to follow up. I really appreciated what they did for me. (I'm going to write a thank you note later tonight.)

I have been very anxious as you could imagine. So I booked an infopass again for this week, but I received an email from USCIS this morning that my case was approved. It’s been a year and five months since I applied. It took me lots of energy and time, but eventually I got it. This website helped me a lot and I thank everybody for your answers and bless. There are many things we can’t control, but we need to do as much as we can to help. Be proactive. Be nice. And never lose your faith that you deserve it. Good luck!

Letter to City A for the transfer of my files:

date
USCIS
A District Office
address

Subject: Request to transfer case file to B District Office

Dear Officer:

I recently moved from A to B so I hope that you could transfer my I-485 case to B District Office in order to have my case processed in time. Attached for your information please find the receipt for my I-485 application.

In addition, the following information will help you track my case:

First Name:
Last Name:
Previous Address:
Current Address:
Date of Birth:
Country of Birth:
Receipt #:
“A” #:
Filing Place:
Filing Date:

If you need any more information, please feel free to call me at xxxxxxxxxx or email me at xxxxx.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

XXX

Letter to congressman:
date​
Representative xxxx
Congressional District number xx of xx
address

Dear xxx:

I am writing to you to seek your help with my Adjustment of Status (I-485) application filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) on the basis of being married to a U.S. citizen. I filed my application on xxx via mail at the Missouri Service Center location (Receipt, Appendix A). During the interview in March 2006 at the City A Field Office, the immigration officer informed my husband and me that the interview was satisfied and that my green card would be mailed to me as soon as the FBI name check was cleared.

We moved to City B in June 2006 and I filed NR-11 (Alien’s Change of Address Card) and called the USCIS to change my address. The address was changed per USCIS letter dated xxx, but according to the letter from the USCIS dated xxx (Appendix B) and the letter dated xxx (Appendix C), USCIS couldn’t process my case because my background check was pending.

It has been over twelve months since I submitted the application and ten months since the interview, but I have not received an approval from USCIS yet due to the background check.

At this point, I am requesting you to please look into the matter and see if you can expedite the name check request. I will be more than happy to provide any documents that you may need.

The following information will help you track my case:

First Name:
Last Name:
Current Address:
Date of Birth:
Country of Birth:
Receipt #:
“A” #:
Filing Place:
Filing Date:

I have attached a Privacy Act Request (Appendix D) and my prior addresses and employer information incase your office needs access to my records with FBI or the USCIS. If you need any more information, please feel free to call me at xxx or email me at xxx.

Sincerely,

xxx

Sample fax cover:
Fax
To: Representative xxx From: xxx
Fax: xxx Pages:
Phone: xxx Date: xxx
Re: Background check for pending I-485 case
x Urgent • For Review ¨ Please Comment ¨ Please Reply ¨ Please Recycle
l Comments:
Dear Sir/Madam:
The following is the letter to Representative xxx regarding my pending I-485 (Adjustment of Immigration Status) and supporting documents. Please call me at xxx should you have any questions or need any information. I appreciate the help.

Sincerely,

xxx

Letter to senator is about the same.
Letter to the First Lady’s office (fax number is on their website).

Mrs. Laura Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mrs. Laura Bush:

My father-in-law xxx, an active Republican of (city/state) xxxxx, xx, suggested me to write a letter to you because I am currently seeking help with my Adjustment of Status (I-485) application filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) on the basis of being married to a U.S. citizen, my husband, xxxxxx.

I filed my application on xxx via mail at the Missouri Service Center location (Appendix A). During the interview in March 2006 at the xxx Field Office, the immigration officer informed my husband and me that the interview was satisfied and that my green card would be mailed to me as soon as the FBI name check was cleared.

My husband and I moved to City B in June 2006 and I filed NR-11 (Alien’s Change of Address Card) and called the USCIS to change my address. The address was changed per USCIS letter dated xxx, but according to the letter from the USCIS dated xxx (Appendix B) and the letter dated xxx (Appendix C), USCIS couldn’t process my case because my background check was pending.

It has been over twelve months since I submitted the application and nine months since the interview, but I have not yet received an approval from the USCIS due to the pending background check. I do not have any criminal records in my life, and I have always kept my legal immigration status since I attended graduate school at xxx. My father-in-law and my husband are always proud of being members of the Republican Party, and they believe that you will be able to help us in this case.

At this point, I am requesting you to please look into the matter and see if you can expedite the name check request and confirm that such a request was sent by USCIS. I will be more than happy to provide any documents that you may need.

The following information will help you track my case and I have attached a Privacy Act Request (Appendix D) and my prior addresses and employer information incase your office needs access to my records with FBI or the USCIS.:

First Name:
Last Name:
Sex:
Current Address:
Date of Birth:
Country of Birth:
Receipt #:
“A” #:
Filing Place:
Filing Date:

If you need any further information, please feel free to call me at xxx or email me at xxx.

Sincerely,

xxx

Name Check

Congratulations on the approval.

I am in the same boat with exactly same situation and timeline
H1B married to USC.
Applied November 05.
Interview March 06.
since then waiting for name check. Numerous infopass and 800 inquiries but same answer. check back in 6 months.
I just prepared letters to congressman and senator and will mail them tomorrow.

Hopefully It will help expedite my case.

uscis sent me the interview letter after 2 and half years

after the interview,i waited for the name check about 7 months

totally,,,i waited about 3 yrs and 1 month to get the card

Congratulations!!! Now you can enjoy 21 USCIS-free months :)

I have been very anxious as you could imagine. So I booked an infopass again for this week, but I received an email from USCIS this morning that my case was approved. It’s been a year and five months since I applied. It took me lots of energy and time, but eventually I got it. This website helped me a lot and I thank everybody for your answers and bless. There are many things we can’t control, but we need to do as much as we can to help. Be proactive. Be nice. And never lose your faith that you deserve it. Good luck!

Thank you very much for sharing your information with us. I am currently stuck in name check too. It seems I have to seek long time fight to get the name check cleared.

Letters to congressman and senator

I sent letters as well as email to congressman and senator last week./
how long they usually take to act on your issue and send a response.