I-485 approved but biometrics yet to be done. How can I travel?

bltzkrig

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,
I was fortunate to have my I-140 and I-485 (concurrent filing) cases approved on Sept 28th. The I-485 "approval" notice asks me to call a toll free number and take an appoinement with the nearest ASC to complete some additional biometrics (fingerprint, photo, signature). This is presumably the last step before I get the card. However, the earliest appt that I could get was for the end of Nov.

My situation is that I have to travel outside the US in three weeks. What could I do now, which will let me travel?

Any pointers appreciated. Thank you.

bltzkrig

I-140 (EB1-OR), I-485 Receipt date: Dec 10, 2004
Fingerprinting (10 fingers): Jan 2005
I-140 RFE: Jun 2005
I-140, I-485 approval date: Sept 28, 2005

Did you get the approval letter or was this some thing you read on the On Line case system? I would suggest that you go to your local office once you get the approval in hand. Most times if its a small office and not too much rush they will do your biometric then itself. You don't need to take interview. Once you get that done you should have your card in 2 weeks. This is worth a try. I got mine the same way. My application was approved 6th June and I had my card in hand by 26th June. The other way is you can also try to see if they stamp your passport since you have to travel. I have read about people getting passport stamped in case of urgent travel needs.

Goto the USCIS Website and make an Infopass,appointment for I-551 Stamp in your passport. It is as good as a Green card. And you can travel with it freely.

Regarding Biometrics, USCIS will send a Letter with an appointment Date.
After the Biometrics you will get the card in a Week to 10 Days.

Even though you appt. is for end of November, just bring your I-485 receipt notice to the nearest ASC and do a walk-in. I did 2 walk-ins within a 2 day period and had no problems at all. Go there and see if they let you. The USCIS will tell you on the phone that walk-ins are NOT permitted, but most ASC allow walk-ins anyways as ASC have their own regulation on this issue. You may have to wait a while for people with appointments that day to finish, but you can indeed get it done that day through the walk-in.