I-485 Application - Birth Certificate Question

apahilaj

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

Since my priority date is current, I am in the process of applying for I485 and one of the required documents is birth certificate.

I have the following questions:

1. Must the name in birth certificate match the name on my visa? Reason I am asking is in my country (India), they usually add "kumar" at the end of first name, which is what I have on my certificate. Does it matter?

2. If some one does not have a birth certificate, is there any other document(s), I can provide to USCIS? School leaving certificate, etc?

Any help/suggestions from anyone on this post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck!

same case

apahilaj,

I am in similar situation like you. My firstname too has a kumar attached to it. My passport as well as birth certificate have kumar in the name, so i am fine, but all my other certificates(degree, pay slips) do not have kumar in the name, so I have asked my lawyer about it

What did you end up doing?

2. If some one does not have a birth certificate, is there any other document(s), I can provide to USCIS? School leaving certificate, etc?
For your unavailability of birth certificate, you will have to write up an affidavit for the unavailability of birth certificate. School leaving certificate etc can be attached for reference

Affidavit

Hi,

I ended up getting two affidavits (signed by both the parents), indicating that the name ArunKumar and My name (Arun Pahilajani) belong to same person. I also sent a copy of my school leaving certificate that had my birth date and my correct name.

Hope this helps!

I sent one affidavit signed by parents and notarized by a U.S. Attorney. Luckily, my parents were visiting me from overseas when I needed to get this done. So I went to a local notary here along with my parents.

The affidavit was drafted by my attorney who lives in another state. So we went to local notary here.