I-485 and work permit for J2 application

ART126

Dear Everyone,
I am new here in the us and need some advice.
Do we need to file a I-485 form with the I 765 in order to get a work permit for J2?
I am a resident on J1 and my wife on J2, I filed a I 765 for a work permit for my wife and then we got a letter from the USCIS that they need us to file I-485 , please let's know. Thanks.

Art126

Dear Everyone,
I am new here in the us and need some advice.
Do we need to file a I-485 form with the I 765 in order to get a work permit for J2?
I am a resident on J1 and my wife on J2, I filed a I 765 for a work permit for my wife and then we got a letter from the USCIS that they need us to file I-485 , please let's know. Thanks.

Art126

nooooooooooooo. you just need to file I765 with the fee and mention the right category from I765 instruction. You do not need I485

Hi mmed,

I followed the instruction of I765 and put C5 category as a J2 holder, but we got a letter requesting for evidence of I-485. I called the national USCIS service and they said I need to send a letter to indicate that my wife does not need to file 485? Anyone has the same expericen, please share with me? To mmed, what would you recommend.

Thanks.

Hi mmed,

I followed the instruction of I765 and put C5 category as a J2 holder, but we got a letter requesting for evidence of I-485. I called the national USCIS service and they said I need to send a letter to indicate that my wife does not need to file 485? Anyone has the same expericen, please share with me? To mmed, what would you recommend.

Thanks.

Respond with cover letter explaining in bold font that you apply under J2 and include copies of every thing again and state that you are not applying under adjustment of status