I-485 and divorce

mrk45

I have filed concurrent I-140/I-485 in June 2003. I have got I-140 approval in March 2004, and received finger printing notification in October 2004.

Q1. When should I expect to get the I-485 approval?

I got married in India in August 2004 and brought my wife into U.S. on an H4 visa which is valid till January 2005. I have applied for her I-485 in October 2004.

Q2. When sholud she expect to get the I-485 approval?

Q3. Is it possible that both of us get the I-485 approval together?

Q4. Or, I will get I-485 approval before her because I have applied for her I-485 much later than me?

Things are not working out between us and we may have a divorce soon. She is planning to go back to India within couple of months to initiate the divorce process there only.

Q5. How can I withdraw her I-485 application once she leaves U.S.?

Q6. Is it possible to withdraw her I-485 application before divorce is finalized?

Q7. Is there any condition for withdrawing the I-485 application for the dependent spouse?

Did you (yet) consider a divorce, here?

mrk45 said:
I have filed concurrent I-140/I-485 in June 2003. I have got I-140 approval in March 2004, and received finger printing notification in October 2004.

Q1. When should I expect to get the I-485 approval?

I got married in India in August 2004 and brought my wife into U.S. on an H4 visa which is valid till January 2005. I have applied for her I-485 in October 2004.

Q2. When sholud she expect to get the I-485 approval?

Q3. Is it possible that both of us get the I-485 approval together?

Q4. Or, I will get I-485 approval before her because I have applied for her I-485 much later than me?

Things are not working out between us and we may have a divorce soon. She is planning to go back to India within couple of months to initiate the divorce process there only.

Q6. Is it possible to withdraw her I-485 application before divorce is finalized?

Q7. Is there any condition for withdrawing the I-485 application for the dependent spouse?

It would save you much hassle, if you secured a divorce here - which is very easy. You could then use the same paperwork - for USCIS, and also the IRS.

mrk45 said:

Only applicant can withdraw his/her I-485. That mean she can withdraw her I-485, not you. Just being a spouse does not allow one to withdraw I-485.

You can write USCIS, but you need some proof back up your point that your relationship with her does not exists anymore. That mean, divorce document.

There is no condition. But only she can withdraw her I-485, not you. You can write USCIS with your divorce document about marriage termination. But that's all you can do.

mrk45 said:
I found this Q4 at: http://www.immigration.com/faq/divorcfaq.html#46

It looks like 485 automatically cancelles if divorce occures before the approval of 485.

comments please?

Yes, if relationship is gone (basically getting divorce officially) even before I-485 is approved, the dependent is not eligible for GC. However, keep in mind that the primary applicant cannot "withdraw" dependent's I-485 on the ground that the relationship will be "terminated in future". Primary applicant can get divorce and then inform USCIS. In that case, if USCIS is convinced, they will cancel dependent's I-485 (or not approve I-485 by keeping in a limbo state). But primary has no right to "withdraw" dependent's I485.

Can I interfere with an unfair pending derivative I485?

To anyone who can help me with advice,

I am a primary employment-based AOS applicant, (hopefully) approaching my approval. I've been married for 4 years, but my wife stopped living with me 2 years ago (unofficially separated). By now our marriage has completely degraded solely into her using me for a derivative AOS.

Recently, I filed for an uncontested divorce, based on 18-month separation. However, she hired a lawyer and using loopholes turned this filing into a contested one, with an intention of dragging this case for another year so that she can get her GC. I had to respond to this on-going nightmare by hiring a family attorney, which is very expensive and time consuming.

I find this extremely unfair, in addition to apparently being illegal. So, I've sent a few letters (to which I never got any response) - first to VSC, and after the transfer, also to Philadelphia USCIS, explaining the situation and requesting to withdraw/cancel the spouse's derivative application, because our bona-fide marital relationship ceased to exist long time ago.

Here are my questions:

1. Does my complaint warrant for her I485 being revoked or not approved?
2. Are (unanswered) letters to USCIS a proper mechanism to achieve justice in this case? Are there any other venues to prevent this abuse?
3. Since "USCIS = one big mess", if her GC is approved, can it be revoked based on an official divorce a few months later?
4. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you in advance for all your help,

RNJ

P.S. I don't provide all personal details here, but trust me it was absolutely devastating to realize at one point that all premarital promises were a part of manipulation in order to relocate and settle in the US.

------------
Concurrent I140/I485 EB2
RD: 3/18/03
FP1-RD: 2/18/04
140-AD: 3/25/04
TD: 10/26/04 (my485: VSC->Nwrk; spouse485: VSC->Philadelphia)
11/10/04: Complaint letter to Philadelphia
Current Status: waiting for interview, name check not cleared

RNJ said:
1. Does my complaint warrant for her I485 being revoked or not approved?
2. Are (unanswered) letters to USCIS a proper mechanism to achieve justice in this case? Are there any other venues to prevent this abuse?
3. Since "USCIS = one big mess", if her GC is approved, can it be revoked based on an official divorce a few months later?
4. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

Probably I will sound insensitive, but my question is that when you + your wife applied I-485 in that time the marriage existed, right? Then after that the relationship fell apart, right? Then why should you care (or bothered about) so much about her I-485? When you are complaining to USCIS, you are just presenting only your side of the story. Neither USCIS or anybody should draw conclusion or take decision based on one person's complaint.

You have to keep in mind that you are not giving her GC, but USCIS is giving her GC. So let's USCIS decide what they want to do and do not loose your sleep for that reason. And I would suggest you not to go all the way to block her GC.

I would advise you not to think too much about her GC. Hire a divorce attorney, get divorce ASAP and then send the divorce paper to USCIS. If you get divorce before her approval, her I485 will be invalid automatically.

pralay said:
Probably I will sound insensitive, but my question is that when you + your wife applied I-485 in that time the marriage existed, right? Then after that the relationship fell apart, right? Then why should you care (or bothered about) so much about her I-485? When you are complaining to USCIS, you are just presenting only your side of the story. Neither USCIS or anybody should draw conclusion or take decision based on one person's complaint.

You have to keep in mind that you are not giving her GC, but USCIS is giving her GC. So let's USCIS decide what they want to do and do not loose your sleep for that reason. And I would suggest you not to go all the way to block her GC.

I would advise you not to think too much about her GC. Hire a divorce attorney, get divorce ASAP and then send the divorce paper to USCIS. If you get divorce before her approval, her I485 will be invalid automatically.

Pralay,

I care about her I485 for the following reasons:

1. After her not living with me for two years, I have a right to remarry and have children. After I filed for a fair uncontested divorce, she hired a lawyer and based on the pretense that I provided her residence address incorrectly came up with a counter-suit so that my divorce complaint is dismissed and I pay to compensate her legal fees. The truth is that she was hiding from me and the only address I could find on the internet was her work address. This all forced me to hire a divorce attorney, pay thousands of dollars, and go through this whole ordeal, with the only goal of hers to prevent me from a long-overdue divorce. If she is denied on her I485, she would stop fighting for prolonging this on-paper-only marriage using all methods, including dishonest, so that I can regroup and rebuild my life.

2. Given all the facts that I know, and these particular steps of immigration fraud that I described above, my defacto-former spouse is just a cheat, and given that I do care in what country I will live, it is now a matter of principle and justice for me to make sure that a person who used the false promise of family and children to just obtain immigration benefits does not have an easy ride. This would be extremely unfair to all hardworking honest people on this forum (including myself) who've been pursueing their American dream for a great many years in an honest way.

In any case, thank you for your feedback,

RNJ

Last edited by a moderator:
RNJ said:
1. After her not living with me for two years, I have a right to remarry and have children. After I filed for a fair uncontested divorce, she hired a lawyer and based on the pretense that I provided her residence address incorrectly came up with a counter-suit so that my divorce complaint is dismissed and I pay to compensate her legal fees. The truth is that she was hiding from me and the only address I could find on the internet was her work address. This all forced me to hire a divorce attorney, pay thousands of dollars, and go through this whole ordeal, with the only goal of hers to prevent me from a long-overdue divorce. If she is denied on her I485, she would stop fighting for prolonging this on-paper-only marriage using all methods, including dishonest, so that I can regroup and rebuild my life.

2. Given all the facts that I know, and these particular steps of immigration fraud that I described above, my defacto-former spouse is just a cheat, and given that I do care in what country I will live, it is now a matter of principle and justice for me to make sure that a person who used the false promise of family and children to just obtain immigration benefits does not have an easy ride. This would be extremely unfair to all hardworking honest people on this forum (including myself) who've been pursueing their American dream for a great many years in an honest way.

That's why I advise you to finalize the divorce ASAP. Without that, you complaint is not going to hold much ground. Only thing you can do that, you can withdraw the affidavit of support for her I485 due the fact that you and your wife are not living together anymore. You need her I-485 number for that reason (I guess you have that).

On the other hand, your assumption that the denial of her I-485 will result in prompt divorce is probably a bad hope. I guess, if the things get more complicated, USCIS will just put her I-485 status in limbo state with neither approval nor denial. So you need to get divorce anyway, despite what her intention is.

Lastly, not sure what your goal. "Remarry and have children" or just revenge so that she does not get GC? If the former one is your true goal, why don't you just wish her prompt GC approval so that the bad chapter gets closed early and you can start a new life.

pralay said:
That's why I advise you to finalize the divorce ASAP. Without that, you complaint is not going to hold much ground. Only thing you can do that, you can withdraw the affidavit of support for her I485 due the fact that you and your wife are not living together anymore. You need her I-485 number for that reason (I guess you have that).

I am paying a lot of money to my divorce attorney to achieve a divorce ASAP, but unfortunately, using the existing law, her attorney has a good chance of dragging this case for months, up to another year.
I do have here I-485 receipt number and alien number. I carefully reviewed a complete copy of our I-485 package that was sent to INS years ago, and there is nothing that looks like "Affidavit of Support" in it.

pralay said:
On the other hand, your assumption that the denial of her I-485 will result in prompt divorce is probably a bad hope. I guess, if the things get more complicated, USCIS will just put her I-485 status in limbo state with neither approval nor denial. So you need to get divorce anyway, despite what her intention is.

If her I-485 gets denied she will lose any motivation to pay thousands of dollars to her divorce attorney to obstruct the divorce. The only way for her to stay in the US will be finding another "loved one", with US citizenship, but she would need to be divorced to pull that off.

pralay said:
Lastly, not sure what your goal. "Remarry and have children" or just revenge so that she does not get GC? If the later one is your true goal, why don't you just wish her prompt GC approval so that the bad chapter gets closed early and you can start a new life.

Both. But I wouldn't call it a revenge, I call it finally serving justice to this person and the entire immigration system after putting up with her abusing me and that system for a long time.

RNJ said:
Both. But I wouldn't call it a revenge, I call it finally serving justice to this person and the entire immigration system after putting up with her abusing me and that system for a long time.

As I mentioned earlier, don't loose your sleep for the ambition of serving justice for "entire immigration system". Let the authority of "entire immigration system" take care of its own issues - and that is USCIS.

You can do only your part - that is withdrawal of affidavit of support and informing your divorce information to USCIS. Nothing more, nothing less.

pralay said:
As I mentioned earlier, don't loose your sleep for the ambition of serving justice for "entire immigration system". Let the authority of "entire immigration system" take care of its own issues - and that is USCIS.

You can do only your part - that is withdrawal of affidavit of support and informing your divorce information to USCIS. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pralay,

Thank you for your advice.

RNJ

Rnj

1. You are expected in good faith to inform the INS about the initiation of the divorce process and that you will dispatch the decree, once it is decreed.
  2. Anytime, the divorce is finalized, you are expected in good faith to notify the INS about that as well, if the decree will be decreed after a significant period of finalizing the divorce.
  3. Once the divorce is decreed, you must inform the Service Center as well as the local-office (if the file is transferred for an interview).
  4. If you had already written to INS about withdrawing your wife's petition, you may not hear anything from them because the divorce is not decreed.
  5. Also, if you had written to them about the separation/pending divorce, etc., still you will be met with a frosty silence, because as per INA rules, divorce attains a meaning in an AoS only when it is decreed.
  6. You cannot withdraw your wife's I-485.
  7. Even if the divorce is contested, you can always put forth your points to the Judge so that no extra time is given to your spouse who is all set to abuse the legal process to attain her immigration benefits. Of course she will always be granted the time as provided by the statutory period requirements of your state.

poongunranar said:
  1. You are expected in good faith to inform the INS about the initiation of the divorce process and that you will dispatch the decree, once it is decreed.
  2. Anytime, the divorce is finalized, you are expected in good faith to notify the INS about that as well, if the decree will be decreed after a significant period of finalizing the divorce.
  3. Once the divorce is decreed, you must inform the Service Center as well as the local-office (if the file is transferred for an interview).
  4. If you had already written to INS about withdrawing your wife's petition, you may not hear anything from them because the divorce is not decreed.
  5. Also, if you had written to them about the separation/pending divorce, etc., still you will be met with a frosty silence, because as per INA rules, divorce attains a meaning in an AoS only when it is decreed.
  6. You cannot withdraw your wife's I-485.
  7. Even if the divorce is contested, you can always put forth your points to the Judge so that no extra time is given to your spouse who is all set to abuse the legal process to attain her immigration benefits. Of course she will always be granted the time as provided by the statutory period requirements of your state.

Poongunranar,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on my difficult situation.

As of now, I have notified the USCIS (both VSC & the local office, to where the files have been transferred), but haven't heard back from them. She has hired an attorney and is paying him money with the only goal of dragging and obstructing the divorce for as long as at all possible. I responded by also hiring an attorney and asking him to do everything possible to counter her obstruction. It will probably take long months before the first hearing. My hopes are that the judge will be reasonable, will understand what she is doing, and help make it less of a nightmare for me. I also hope that my appeals have been received by USCIS and they will be reasonable and not give her an easy ride with this abuse.

One more time - thank you very much for your comments.

RNJ

RNJ said:
She has hired an attorney and is paying him money with the only goal of dragging and obstructing the divorce for as long as at all possible. I responded by also hiring an attorney and asking him to do everything possible to counter her obstruction. It will probably take long months before the first hearing. My hopes are that the judge will be reasonable, will understand what she is doing, and help make it less of a nightmare for me. I also hope that my appeals have been received by USCIS and they will be reasonable and not give her an easy ride with this abuse.

Friend, don't worry. I repeat, don't worry. Your wife will not be granted any more time than what is permitted in the Statutatory Period Limitation for such Divorce Cases in your State (Pennsylvania). Now, even though Family Courts have female Judges in majority, still many of them are very reasonable. I will suggest that you don't foolishly try to circumvent the process of justice. Contested divorce will be very painful, I agree. At the same time, it will be only painful if you try to fear about the outcome at the onset. A determined onslaught on your wife will not be too difficult and please do take the following points for consideration as well.

1. I assume, you don't have kids in your divorce. If so, all the following points are valid.
  2. Try to show to the Judge that you don't have REAL ENCUMBRANCES in the form of kids or real property to be divided.
  3. In this country, using Court System and Legal System to buy time or to initiate a wrong suit is against legal ethics. Try to really warn your wife's attorney about a possibility of reporting to the Pennsylvania Bar for possible violations of legal ethics on his part in just filibustering and preventing the administration of justice by initiating a wrong claim without a determined follow-up.
  4. You will probably have regular status conferences. Use it to the maximum to show to the learned judge that all your wife is doing is to abuse a legal process without substantial claims.
  5. Try to use the DISCOVERY PROCESS to the maximum. Ask EVERY document from your wife. You can really "torment" her by pressing for all the documents.
  6. You also adopt "cheap" and "proven" techniques of legal law to torment your wife. She thinks she can abuse the law to torment you so that you will fall at her feet to realize her immigration goals. Rather, you now start issuing sub poena ad testificandum and sub poena duces tecum on her, her friends, workplace and any other relevant people / players, so that she now understands that the sword is sharp on both sides that she cannot just have a smooth sail by merely tormenting you. She also has consequences of this legal civil action. Please do note that YOUR attorney can issue the subpoenas signed by the Clerk of the Superior Court of your County. Once subpoenas are dispatched to your wife at her work-address, and her proteges and supporters at their addresses, then they will understand that they just can't abuse a guy for her own immigration benefits.
  7. Be extremely polite to the Family Court Judge. Even if you should show your ire for a second, you are losing your ground and case.
  8. INS, Philly is not going to call you for interview. I bet dollars to doughnuts on that. Even if your wife is pretty influential with her "legal wing" to wield influence before INS with her attorneys, still INS Philly will not be foolish enough to get itself entangled in this imbroglio. So, they will wait until the day your case is going to be decreed.
  9. You have nothing to worry. Just be VERY VERY COOPERATIVE with the Family Court and the learned Judge and you will not be penalized. The Judge will see if your wife's demands are "greedy" or "reasonable." The very moment she sees the ugly side of your wife, you will start to reap the dividends.
  10. In any case the statutory period, as in the case of Georgia where I live is 6 months, is going to be 6 months for you as well. Once you cross this time-period, please bring it to the cognizance of the Judge through your attorney.

Friend, I offer you my fullest moral support and prayers. A right-thinking man or a woman should never be abused because of his or her own conduct. And greedy troublemongers such as your spouse should realize that.

unitednations

I am afraid, I will have to respectfully disagree with your suggestion because RNJ doesn't need to tarry or inflict damage on his own prospects just because his spouse is hell bent on getting her benefits out of this "marriage." RNJ has nothing to worry about. I know, he is intimidated, sorely and gravely frightened of the torture of the American legal system -- contested divorce. However, if he can conduct the civil action with patience and endurance by cooperating with the Family Court in the best manner possible, then his liabilities in the family court will come to almost zilch. Now, his only worry regarding INS is not that his GC will be affected (I have never gotten an impression that this is his worry), rather, he is hell bent keen on not having his wife get GC out of this marriage. While, I am entirely of pralay's mindset, I can also appreciate RNJ's craving for justice and fairness. Therefore, even though I wouldn't want RNJ to try to control his wife's GC chances, I am almost 100% convinced that INS Philly will just not get into this quagmire by calling for an interview without the divorce being decreed. If RNJ hasn't informed the USINS ADJUDICATIONS UNIT of INS Philly by writing to them about all the details pertaining to the Civil Action case (Divorce Case Nature (Contested), Court Name, Civil Action #, Judge Name, Judge's Chamber/Court Room, Wife's A#, Wife's Receipt Number, Wife's Birthday, Wife's Social Security # if available, Superior Court Name, etc.), then he has to do so immediately. This will effectively put the case on hold until the time the divorce is decreed. USINS has its own resources to summon the public records pertaining to the Divorce from the Superior Court. So, in order for the officer in charge to play it safe by not becoming a liability himself for either approving/rejecting RNJ's wife's case before the divorce is decreed, the officer will keep the entire file/case in abeyance until the divorce is decreed.

poongunranar said:
I am afraid, I will have to respectfully disagree with your suggestion because RNJ doesn't need to tarry or inflict damage on his own prospects just because his spouse is hell bent on getting her benefits out of this "marriage." RNJ has nothing to worry about. I know, he is intimidated, sorely and gravely frightened of the torture of the American legal system -- contested divorce. However, if he can conduct the civil action with patience and endurance by cooperating with the Family Court in the best manner possible, then his liabilities in the family court will come to almost zilch. Now, his only worry regarding INS is not that his GC will be affected (I have never gotten an impression that this is his worry), rather, he is hell bent keen on not having his wife get GC out of this marriage. While, I am entirely of pralay's mindset, I can also appreciate RNJ's craving for justice and fairness. Therefore, even though I wouldn't want RNJ to try to control his wife's GC chances, I am almost 100% convinced that INS Philly will just not get into this quagmire by calling for an interview without the divorce being decreed. If RNJ hasn't informed the USINS ADJUDICATIONS UNIT of INS Philly by writing to them about all the details pertaining to the Civil Action case (Divorce Case Nature (Contested), Court Name, Civil Action #, Judge Name, Judge's Chamber/Court Room, Wife's A#, Wife's Receipt Number, Wife's Birthday, Wife's Social Security # if available, Superior Court Name, etc.), then he has to do so immediately. This will effectively put the case on hold until the time the divorce is decreed. USINS has its own resources to summon the public records pertaining to the Divorce from the Superior Court. So, in order for the officer in charge to play it safe by not becoming a liability himself for either approving/rejecting RNJ's wife's case before the divorce is decreed, the officer will keep the entire file/case in abeyance until the divorce is decreed.

:) I agree with both unitednations and poongunranar. The fact is that marriage and divorce is 1000 times more complicated than immigration. That's why when I replied I tried to limit the scope my posting only in immigration part of the issue. From my own various experince I can tell that when bad marriage happens both sides have something to say about each incident of their conflicts - unfortunately sometimes they are just totally opposite. Bad marriage is bad marriage. And most of the times there is no evil and there is no innocent. I don't know about RNJ situation. Hence I would not draw any conclusion and would be ready to get any impression.

Life is not fair. Bad marriage itself is a big unfair thing of life. And someone getting green card out of it is a very small part of it. :cool:

Thank You Poongunranar and Unitednations

Poongunranar and Unitednations,

Thank you for your moral support.

A few points addressing your questions and comments, as well as a few other remarks.

I am no longer in H1 status, since I reentered on advanced parole (have elderly parents who I visit frequently in my home country). I live in NJ, the divorce complaint has been filed in New Jersey, and the judge assigned to the case is a male :). From what I heard on this forum, my I485 and the derivative I485 live two separate lives and there were some cases when a derivative was approved before the main applicant. In our case, my I485 is in Newark, hers is in Philly. I did write to Philadelphia USCIS repeatedly, attaching all the legal paperwork (copies of divorce complaints, responces of her attorney, etc.), so I do hope now that the decision on her case will be deferred till the divorce is finalized. We do not have any real estate or kids, but in order not to openly admit that she delays the divorce for immigration reasons, she is now trying to make it look like she is after my money...

On a different note, if I eventually marry a person from a different country after I get GC, from what I heard, she'd have to wait about 7 years in her home country before she'd be allowed into US. Or I can wait 5 years, apply for citizenship, and bring her faster, but the total will be again about 7 years. Quite depressing...

On a good side, I do what is right and try not to worry too much about what I cannot change. After all if the legal and immigration system of this country will allow a crook to win this matter -- well, let them have one more crook living permanently here...

RNJ

P.S. Poongunranar, one more time Thank You for your detailed suggestions!

RNJ, pralay, and unitednations

unitednations: Thanks for your clarification.

pralay: I again agree with your observation, albeit, as you had confined your opinions on the Immigration aspect, I had to delve more into the Immigration-Divorce aspects of the issue. Also, in a forum like this, we can provide input only on the basis that the person stating his / her position is speaking the truth. It need not be the case, but we are not the judges here. So, yes, both the spouses may be at fault. We are not here to determine the fault. Even the Judges at the Family Court don't do that and they confine to the questions and issues of law. Therefore, you are absolutely right. Both did contribute to the marriage falling asunder. That much said, for academic, legalistic, and pragmatic interests, we make comments and suggestions by entirely assuming that the stated position is true. i.e., what RNJ states is true. If, hypothetically we have RNJ's wife writing in this forum alleging other interesting things, you will surely see me clarifying points of her interest as well. In a nutshell, the opinions voiced here are more of practical and academic interest, without delving into the actual realities of who is honest and who speaks the truth. :)

RNJ:

You are most welcome, dude. I wish you all the best. Even though, both of you have your files at different local-offices, she cannot get her interview without you. She is your dependent and hence the next logical flow is for Philly to transfer her file to Newark and if at all Newark calls for an interview for you without her, then still she has to have you besides her for her interview. In any case, I just don't see how she will get her GC based on this marriage. That is why she is now trying to milch as much as possible from you. Many Immigration-cum-divorce attorneys are also trying to reap dividends by confusing such girls saying that if you delay the divorce, you will get your GC approved, for example by filing I-360 under VAWA, etc. However, these girls don't apply their mind to see that it is almost impossible to do that, especially if the files are transferred to local office. If the files were at the Service Center level, where no interview is needed, then their game would play to their benefit. So, now the question is, when your wife responded to your divorce, she just didn't know that the files were transferred to local offices. Right? She may have thought and assumed that by delaying the divorce, the GC petition will get adjudicated at the Service Center level without interview and hence no need for your help.

I don't think, you have to wait so long for your future spouse because I-130 or fiance visa doesn't take that long, these days. Why don't you plan on moving onto a faster processing local office where your future spouse can get her fiance visa pretty soon?

What has the world come to????

Where is this fight abt not letting the other live happily? Its insane to think this way ...

--> just my personal opinion !!!