I-20 initial evidence for I-485 filing

needgc2

Registered Users (C)
I was an F1 student from 1998 for 1.5 years. I have been on H1B ever since. I don't have my I-20 with me. It seems that I lost my I-20. How critical is I-20 to file I-485? Can I file I-485 without I-20? Will this be a problem? Help please.....

Yes

Yes thats your first legal entry into the US , I got RFE week back asking me to produce proof of first legal entry into US it can either I20 or copy of I-94 or approved I-797.

talk to your attorney he would know better.

Faiz

Usually attorney and company hold on to the immigration paper work for the employees - be sure to ask attorney for I-94 copy from your paper work for 'first' H1B. If out of luck in both the places, check with university and see if they have a copy or record or your presence in the university.. but this doesn't have an admission stamp at POE as it exists on original I-20. Check with your lawyer, if you can use this along with some kind of letter from university etc.

If you can only manage I-94 number, do some research if there is a way to extract the status info.

Even I had lost my PT card (legal proof of stay after expiry of F1 and start of H1B) and the company also didn't have it. However, fortunately attorney still has/had a copy and faxed it to me.

Well, I am not a lawyer. I am just trying to think of alternatives.

I was an F1 student from 1998 for 1.5 years. I have been on H1B ever since. I don't have my I-20 with me. It seems that I lost my I-20. How critical is I-20 to file I-485? Can I file I-485 without I-20? Will this be a problem? Help please.....