I-20 expired

ndevarak

Hello,

I entered US in Fall 2003 and was to complete my MS by Fall 2005. But in the last minute there was some problem with my committee members and I couldn't graduate. At the same time, I had to come home because I needed a surgery. I left US under the assumption that as I register for an upcoming sem, my I-20 will get extended automatically. Right now I am registered for Spring 2006 and as I plan to graduate this term, I advanced my admission into my next university for Summer 2006 itself.
But now I was informed that my I-20 has expired! Will mt current school issue a new I-20?
what will be the condition if my current univ refuses to issue a new I-20? Will I have to go to the VISA consulate again with the I-20 from the New univ?
Kindly help!!!

Just for Information, did you have a travel signature made on your current (expired) I-20. If that is not the case, leaving the country without notifying the university presents a worst case for any possible extension.

Also, technically you have a 60 day period after the expiration of your program date. So, you still have a valid status in United States, not sure if the immigration officers at port of entry will allow you based on this.

Extension of I-20 requires the acceptance from your department. If you are not present in the deparment somebody has to proxy for you and apply the necessary documentation to International Student Services office of your university for an extension of I-20 with a traval signature present on it.

And ask someone to post it to you. If this happens, you are in an excellent position to return back.

Hope this information helps.

Hi,
Thank you for the hope you have given me.
I didn't get any signature done. I am pretty sure my I-20 has expired. (Univ said so!)

I feel a little better now after seeing your reply. But is there a chance of getting a new I-20 from the current Univ?
Incase I have to come to US with the new Univ's I-20, will I have to go through the whoooole VISA process? And how risky do you think it'll be?

Thank you