I-140 needs to be retrieved from consulate in home country?

gc_frustrating

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I called INS two days ago to inquire the status of our I-485.
To my surprise the IIO I talked with told me that our application
was sent back to consulate office in my home country. I was
so scared and called INS again yesterday. This time I was told
that the I-485 and other documents are still in VSC and INS
only needs to retrieve I-140 from consulate office.

My question is: Is it normal that I-140 is mailed to consulate
and then retrieved back when INS is processing I-485? How
long it takes to get it back from consulate to INS? Does this
mean INS is currently processing our case?

Thanks a million in advance.

Was you I-140 approved from Consular Processing ,if yes then in that case they forward approved I-140 Petition to Consulates .

gc frustrating. when the I-140 case is approved for CP the National Visa Center forwards it to Your home country consulate. The INS calls for it when your case is taken for processing. At least you know now that your papers have been called for.

I have a similar case RD august 23. My case is still pending but when I called up INS they did not speak about my file retrieval. Can you share your RD and ND dates please.

VC123, thanks for the information.

I have a longer frustrating wait than you. My RD is 8-6-2001
and ND is 9-27-2001. The IIO I talked said their processing
is based on ND, not RD. I guess I can't correct her and make
her realize that it should be based on RD. Anyway she told me
to wait for another 30-60 days.

I have more questions for you. Are all I-140 checked with CP
mailed back to home country? If they are retrieving the 140,
does it mean case assigned to an officer?

Call NVC and find out

NVC doesn't always send your I-140 to your country. Call them (# is on your I-140 approval if it's for CP) and they'll tell you where it is. One IIO told me my I-140 is on the way back to VSC. But NVC rep told me later that it had been sitting there all year long and nobody requested it yet. They NEVER sent it to consulate because my lawyer never paid a fee for that.

If you call up the National Visa Center and speak to a representative there ,they will tell you if and when the papers have been sent to the Consulate office of your home country. Like, I was told that my papers wetre sent in June 2001 to the consulate office.
Again I have seen cases on this Board with CP approvals going smoothly with not much delays. One way would be to send an email to the home consulate to expedite file retrieval.
Gc-frustrating-Was this the first time you spoke top an IIO.

Last edited by a moderator: