I-140 job description & Occupation

imli

Registered Users (C)
Could someone please let me know what to write in the job description section (in Part 6) in I-140? Should it be broad in the sense or should it be very specific?
Also, in the occupation section (Part 5) of I-140, what is better to write?
Chemist or Post-Doctoral Research Associate or Research Chemist or something else better.

I am a organic chemist (research in organic/medicinal chemistry) and applying for EB2-NIW (self-petition).

Thank you so much, in advance.

Taking my employer's hat for this one...

For NIW or Labor Certification, it is always good to narrow down the job title. It is then easier to explain how the person is good and really needed. "Research Chemist" is very vague and you are going to be compared to thousands of other "Research Chemists". "Amino acid chemist" would for example been much better if indeed the "Research Chemist" is working on amino acids...

Chris

I don't think it matter much no matter broad or narrow. There is a standardized SOC code out there. You can't be too creative to narrow down yourself, unless you want to list a number for "other researcher", or something like that.

And I might disagree with you, Chris. For regular EB2, it might be good to narrow down becuase prevailing wage, etc. For NIW, one of the common argument for prone 3 is that there are too many people with similar qualifications out there, the labor certificate system can't distinguish those regular guys and the excellent petitioner. Therefore, it is of the national interest to grant him/her a national interest waiver and not to go through the LC system. Therefore, it might be good to be broad.

Any other thoughts?

Urgent: Box#4 in Part-4 in I-140

During e-filing, what to do with Box#4 in Part-4. (i.e. "application(s) being filed with this Form I-140?")

check "yes" or "no"?

Should we check boxes for I-485, 765 and 131 or uncheck them?

I am planning to submit I-485, 765, 131 "after" e-file "but" before August 17.

Is is possible to print-out the submitted form after the completition of the submission process? I have not done it, so do not know if I can do it for my future records.

Please help.

You get a copy of the filled I-140 with your receipt in a pdf file once you have completed (and paid for) your e-filing...

Chris

One more thought. I don't think whatever you put in part 5 matters at all. Part 6 is the one used to define your area of expertise and your peers. So part 6 does matter.

However, at least for efile, the job title is a multiple choice question. So I bet it's not too good an idea to be creative, if not entirely impossible. The job description is "nontechnical", so you shouldn't be too specific either. Also if you plan to move before I485 is approved, you could be in trouble if you put in a really narrow and specific job description.

Just my 2c. Please chime in for other thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My job title is Senior Research Associate, working in Biomedical field on Glaucoma research. I had written the same in the sample draft I had sent to my attorney. She e-filed my I-140 yesterday and sent me the filled form. She has changed my job title to "Life and Environmental Scientist". Her office is closed today and I dont know why she has done this.

Any comments please. Thank you!

Like I said above, the question regarding "job title" is a multiple choice one, at least in efile 140. You can only select one from those possible answers set by USCIS but Senior Research Associate is not one of the answers. The closest one for you is Life and Environmental Scientist. I think she is correct.

Like I said above, the question regarding "job title" is a multiple choice one, at least in efile 140. You can only select one from those possible answers set by USCIS but Senior Research Associate is not one of the answers. The closest one for you is Life and Environmental Scientist. I think she is correct.

I think, in e-file there is an option that "Occupation not listed". Is it bad to select this one? I am organic chemist and the only close match was health services. But I select "Occupation not listed" because if CIS asked for the proof of the health services, I will not be able to provide it (I might be able to relate somehow but I did not felt comfortable).

Did I do wrong/bad selecting the "Occupation not listed". Any negative effect?

Please help.

Thank you for the input YouApproved!
Since I did not have a first hand experience filing the case I was wondering why she has chosen something like Life and Environmental Scientist, when my research is in no way related to environmental sciences. As you said options to select may be restricted in e-file.
Wish Good Luck to all!