I-140, Employer was purchased, legal name change. what to do?

vanya27

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My I-140 was filed under the name of company A in June 2002. On Feb. 1 of this year, we were purchased by company B (completely-all assets and liab.) and company's legal name was changed. I received an approval for my I-140 this July under old company name.

Questions:

a. Is this I-140 valid and if I get laid off, can I use 180 days protection under I-485 (filed in Sept. of last year) and get another job and still get my GC?

b. I was told to file a new I-140 by my laywer and the company did this July. Waiting time right now is about 14 month. If my I-485 gets approved before that, can I get my GC?

c. If I filed a new I-140, do I need to file a new I-485 since legal name changed?

d. What if I get a promotion within the same company and I'll have a new job title? How will it effect the process?

All of my responsibilities are the same as far as job goes.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Your I-140 got approved in June. Did you apply for new I-140 with same Labor? Probably not. It may be I-140 amendment.
Or is it on total different Labor.

If it is an amendment better to wait until it is approved.

Please clarify

Actually, I am not sure how the new I-140 was filed. Company's law firm keep everything for themselfs so I am not sure and don't have a copy of the EAC number. I was only told that a new I-140 was filed in July of this year. I also was told that the waiting in about 12-14 month in Venmont right now.

So, does it mean that until this new I-140 will be approved I would forget about 180 days rule under I-485? And do I need to file a new I-485?

Thanks for your help.

Approved 1-140

Your previously approved 1-140 is still valid. Even if your amendment gets denied, your approved 140 would remain valid.
But I am not sure whether you would have to wait for the amendment to get approved prior to 485 approval. My guess would be no.

Approved I-140

You can use the AC-21 with the first approved I140 so long as you have waited on 485 for 180 days or more with similar future job.

Since I currently still have H-1B valid, I am traveling in and out of USA using it at the point of entry. I also have Travel Permit and work permit card. Am I doing the right thing?
I also want to bring my wife here under H-4 status since I still have H-1B, can I do that or she needs to come some how via my I-485?
Any ideas?