I-140 and H1B Status

freebyte

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

My employer filed my I-140 in June 2008 which has not been approved yet. But the problem is I am not on a project (not working) since May 2008. Would it make any difference on my I-140 processing. Do I need to be on payroll to be qualified to an I-140 approval. Furthermore, how long it takes to get an I-140 approved. Could it hurt my H1B status also?

Any help of feedback in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Freebyte

I-140 and H-1B are independent trails. The former is a part of GC processing which is for future employment. However, being out of pay for long may impact the H-1B renewal (unless you want to stick to the same employer).

Thank you

Thank you for your explanation. So if my employer drops my H1B due to the fact that I am not on his payroll for about 9 months. Does it cause any hurdle on my I-140 processing? and if not then once my I -140 is aproved, he can file my 485 as well. Do I have to be on payroll in order to file a 485?

Please let me know. I appriciate your feedback.

Regards

Not being on payroll while I-140 is pending does not effect its result, but since you are in US, USCIS might ask you to prove whether you were maintaining h status at time of I-485 adjudication. Filing of I-485 depends on priority date available for country of chargeability and employment based category

Thank you for your explanation. So if my employer drops my H1B due to the fact that I am not on his payroll for about 9 months. Does it cause any hurdle on my I-140 processing? and if not then once my I -140 is aproved, he can file my 485 as well. Do I have to be on payroll in order to file a 485?

Please let me know. I appriciate your feedback.

Regards

I-140 processing is getting under the microscope nowadays. This may raise question on your employer's 'ability to pay' criteria. By the way you don't have to wait for the I-140 approval to file I-485: only the priority date matters.