I-140 Ability to Pay RFE, Attorney wants $3000 to process it. Is it normal?

rluanma

Registered Users (C)
What's the average attorney fee for handling I-140 RFEs, especially for Ability to Pay RFEs? Thank you!

My previous lawyer quoted $1000 with discount for I140 process which includes REFs. He usually charges $1500 for this process.

Lawyer fees

My lawyer charges $1000 for I-140 and I-485 altogether. If there is any RFE it is his problem (he analysed the case before he took it) and there are no additional charges. Attorney must take responsibility for his mistakes. In my opinion attorney should gather all the information from you at the initial time of the case and for any further delays resulting from his incompetence he should pay reimbursment. Unfortunately there are many people who sign any retaiment agreement they get from any attorney.

rluanma:
bo2075 is right.
I have not heard of extra extortion for RFEs. I have heard a lot of attornys charging up the kazoo for 140s and 485s. But none specific to RFEs. Its definitely not normal. Looks like your attorney is trying to cash the situation, you are going through.

I paid 1200 to my attorney for both 140 and 485. He did go through the documents before he took the case, that includes all the RFE's. Attorney's know (most of the time) if there is a chance of RFE and i believe they keep some sort of margin while accepting. So your attorney asking more for RFE is extortion.

Attorney is ripping you off :) If there are RFEs .that is attorneys problem since he has already charged for the entire I 140 process.

When an attorney takes up a case .it is for the whole process . He can charge you extra for the next step (like I 1485)