I-131 Travel document

victorce79

Registered Users (C)
I am a green card holder since 12/2006. I have a job offer abroad for 2 years.

Question:
Do I need to apply for I-131 with biometric even I will be returning home every 4 months for 1 week vacation?

Please help me what is the best thing to do.

Thanks,

victorce79

Technically you don't need it. But when you're overseas that much, they eventually notice your travel pattern and may hassle you about it, possibly threatening to take away your green card next time. When you have the reentry permit they will usually let you in without troubling you about your travels, so it is useful to have it even though it's not absolutely necessary.

Are you going to work for a US employer when abroad? Do you plan to apply for US citizenship in the future? If yes to both, are you planning to apply for N-470 soon?

Thanks for the info. What I will do is apply I-131 online for $99.00 and when they send me the notice for biometric and I am there, i will reschedule it on my vacation after 4 months.

It is not a US company and plan to apply for US citizen soon.

It is not a US company and plan to apply for US citizen soon.

Your attempt at citizenship will likely fail, as your foreign employment for a non-US company and the length of your trips will jeopardize your continuous residence, especially if you're not keeping your house or apartment while you're gone. You are supposed to reside primarily in the US all the way through the naturalization process until the oath, and foreign employment is a big red flag if it's not a US company that's sending you abroad.

I am not abandoning my house, my family will stay. My employment is only single status. If they will jeopardize my citizenship, i don't care. I am a Canadian citizen and I cannot get that income here. I have a daughter going to continue for medicine, if I will stay and work here I cannot support her. US is still my residence. This is only a contract job for 2 years, but if they will take away my green card i will tell them what is my purpose. When you tell the truth I think they will consider it.

I am not abandoning my house, my family will stay.

Good, keeping your house and family in the US are two big positives. Your chances aren't so bad then. Although it still could go either way.

This is only a contract job for 2 years, but if they will take away my green card i will tell them what is my purpose. When you tell the truth I think they will consider it.

With you having a reentry permit and your family and house staying in the US, and the fact that it is a contract job with a specific end date, I think your green card is 99.9% safe for the two years. It's the citizenship process that could be a bit of a problem, as the residence standards for citizenship are more strict than for keeping the green card, and it is much easier to deny citizenship than to take away your green card.

Thanks for your advice. As I said if they will deny my citizenship its, better to be a GR holder forever. Anyway I am a Canadian citizen and will retire soon. I will let my wife son & daughter filed their citizenship on due date by next year and I will apply it later.

Thanks again,

victorce79