I-130 transferred to CA but I live in NJ!!

jzlthssw

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
2 months ago I became US Citizen and requested pending I-130 for my wife (at TSC since 2001) to be upgraded. Today I received a letter from INS saying the following:

"On May 27, 2005, we transferred your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times."

Well, I live in New Jersey and have updated INS my current address when I requested the upgrade. Can anyone give me an idea why the heck they transferred me case to California? I'm really worried. Please help!

Thanks!!!

Do not panic. It is actually good news for you. TSC is far behind and they keep on transferring I-130 applications to California service center for faster processing.

Jane Green said:
Do not panic. It is actually good news for you. TSC is far behind and they keep on transferring I-130 applications to California service center for faster processing.
Thanks for your opinion. So are you saying this is routinely being done? Has anyone experienced similar situation?

jzlthssw said:
Thanks for your opinion. So are you saying this is routinely being done? Has anyone experienced similar situation?

Yes, I did.
In September 2004, I filed I-130 with TSC, they transferred my application to CSC, it got approved in December.

I'm in the same situation

Hi,

When I became a Citizen, I notified the office :D to upgrade my I-130 ( it was NSC) now I received a letter “On May 24, 2005, we transferred your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times.”

And this week I received another one from California (Laguna Niguel office):
“On May 31, 2005, your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN was received here for processing. It is taking between 990 and 999 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.” :mad:

It kind of freak me out – I have submitted my I-130 in Oct 2003.

I don’t know I am going to call the office and see what is up.

WELL GOOD LUCK. – KEEP ME POSTED AND I WILL DO THE SAME.

PZ

Same Situation

I received a letter “On March 25, 2005, we transferred your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times.”
and my receipt date for my I130 application above on December 15 2000 and priority date December 12 2000

on May 12 2005 i received I797c " The above petition has been approved...etc..and they sent original petition to NVC and NVC will then forward the approved petition to consulate abroad, but now i physically inside US, so what i must to do? :( any advices? :( :confused:

Pazi said:
Hi,

When I became a Citizen, I notified the office :D to upgrade my I-130 ( it was NSC) now I received a letter “On May 24, 2005, we transferred your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times.”

“On May 31, 2005, your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN was received here for processing. It is taking between 990 and 999 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.” :mad:

PZ

Thank God I didn't asked to upgrade my case. When I asked the officer how long it will take, she couldn't give me a timeline, so I cancelled my old I 130 which I filed as LPR and filed new one with I -485. I lost some money but have peace of mind.

I just made a phone call

I just made a phone call to the office, and was told that they actually are actively working on my case. I don't exactly know what that mean. but they said "if you don't hear anything in about 30-60 days, call us" ... so we will see....

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT OTHER POEPLE EXPERIENCED ON THIS TOPIC.

THANKS

c4kw3 said:
on May 12 2005 i received I797c " The above petition has been approved...etc..and they sent original petition to NVC and NVC will then forward the approved petition to consulate abroad, but now i physically inside US, so what i must to do? :( any advices? :( :confused:

Write to NVC at the address given on the letter and tell them that you would like to adjust your status in USA. Please note that they may charge you a penalty if you had been in the US illegally. Also, if you had been here illegally, do not, under any circumstances, leave the country before adjusting the status.

So when did you send in your new I-130?

amishah said:
Thank God I didn't asked to upgrade my case. When I asked the officer how long it will take, she couldn't give me a timeline, so I cancelled my old I 130 which I filed as LPR and filed new one with I -485. I lost some money but have peace of mind.
I'm trying to figure out the difference in processing time between "upgrades" and "Cancel-resubmits". It'll be helpful if we keep each other posted and find out!

jzlthssw said:
I'm trying to figure out the difference in processing time between "upgrades" and "Cancel-resubmits". It'll be helpful if we keep each other posted and find out!
Well for cancelling, you don't have to wait for their reply. I sent my cancellation letter just 2 days before I sent my new one. In new one they asked you that have you ever filed form I -130 before. I just wrote the RD date, Service center where I filed and in status wrote cancelled and date I send the letter.
I haven't heard anything regarding my old I-130 yet. But new one is in process. When I asked the officer during my last visit about my old I-130, she said you don't have to worry about it. It takes time. And then she said I should not wait for their reply to file a new one. I said I am not. I have already filed a new one. She said Good :)

amishah said:
Well for cancelling, you don't have to wait for their reply. I sent my cancellation letter just 2 days before I sent my new one. In new one they asked you that have you ever filed form I -130 before. I just wrote the RD date, Service center where I filed and in status wrote cancelled and date I send the letter.
I haven't heard anything regarding my old I-130 yet. But new one is in process. When I asked the officer during my last visit about my old I-130, she said you don't have to worry about it. It takes time. And then she said I should not wait for their reply to file a new one. I said I am not. I have already filed a new one. She said Good :)
What I meant is we should compare the time it takes to approve my "old" but upgraded I-130, with the time it takes to approve your "new" I-130 (with cancellation of your "old" one).

jzlthssw said:
What I meant is we should compare the time it takes to approve my "old" but upgraded I-130, with the time it takes to approve your "new" I-130 (with cancellation of your "old" one).
Well see here if you ask them to upgrade your old one, you have to wait till it gets approved anf God knows how long it is going to take. After getting it approved you can file I485, I765, I131 and so on...
In case you cancel the old one you don't have to wait for that unkown period of time and you can file I485, I765, I131 rightaway. Which will give you wirk permit and travel permit in 2 months. In this case they will adjust you I130 & I485 at same time. So you don't waste seperate time for them.

amishah said:
Well see here if you ask them to upgrade your old one, you have to wait till it gets approved anf God knows how long it is going to take. After getting it approved you can file I485, I765, I131 and so on...
In case you cancel the old one you don't have to wait for that unkown period of time and you can file I485, I765, I131 rightaway. Which will give you wirk permit and travel permit in 2 months. In this case they will adjust you I130 & I485 at same time. So you don't waste seperate time for them.
But the advice I got from USCIS customer service is that I can do all of those simultaneously, i.e., upgrading I-130 with the original SC, and sending the I-485 and AP, EAD to Chicago. I remember seeing someone having done that in another thread. Interesting that MSC, who is processing my I-485 currently, sent a letter asking for the medical report (which I didn't send in the package) but didn't ask for I-130. If, as you said, "old" I-130 has to be approved before the rest of the train moves, you'd think MSC would have told me that instead of RFE.

jzlthssw said:
But the advice I got from USCIS customer service is that I can do all of those simultaneously, i.e., upgrading I-130 with the original SC, and sending the I-485 and AP, EAD to Chicago. I remember seeing someone having done that in another thread. Interesting that MSC, who is processing my I-485 currently, sent a letter asking for the medical report (which I didn't send in the package) but didn't ask for I-130. If, as you said, "old" I-130 has to be approved before the rest of the train moves, you'd think MSC would have told me that instead of RFE.
The think with USCIS is you don't get consistence answer from them. It differs officer by officer. I try not to use that 800# when things are so complicated because I don't trust them. So I asked to immigration officer at my DO, how many ways are there to handle the situation. And she told me either I cancel it and go with new one or upgrade it and attach the approval with I485.
But since they haven't ask for your I130, they are fine with your way. I am sure you must have send Receipt Notice for your I130 with your I485 so that they know you have filed it.
Nothing to worry! They will adjust it together. So you don't need to wait for its approval.

c4kw3 said:
I received a letter “On March 25, 2005, we transferred your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN to an office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER for processing. Our office in CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER will send you a written decision as soon as processing is complete. You should receive a notice informing you that your case has been transferred to a local office. Please call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 to receive information about local office processing times.”
and my receipt date for my I130 application above on December 15 2000 and priority date December 12 2000

Write to NVC at the address given on the letter and tell them that you would like to adjust your status in USA. Please note that they may charge you a penalty if you had been in the US illegally. Also, if you had been here illegally, do not, under any circumstances, leave the country before adjusting the status.

Hi

I assume that you are in the USA legally on a 'V' Visa. Could you confirm that your petition was as a greencard holder and not a citizen.

Thanks

Just got letter from California Service Ctr - 900-999 days!

jzlthssw said:

The letter from CSC says they got the transferred I-130, but it takes 900-999 dyas to process! I'm assuming this is just routine language, and timeframe of I-130 for citizens should be much shorter than that. Has anyone had their I-130 transferred to CA and has since been approved?

It is Approved ....

Pazi said:
Hi,

PZ

]I just received An approval Notice from CSC... i GUESS THIS IS FASTER THAN i THOGUTH. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE NEXT STEP WOULD BE?

now you should find out what is your priority date ...

You have to look at the top of your recepit to find out what is your priority date before filling for adjustment of status if the person who sponsor you is a green card holder .

What exactly does it mean?

philaug28 said:
You have to look at the top of your recepit to find out what is your priority date before filling for adjustment of status if the person who sponsor you is a green card holder .

Hi, Thanks for your reply... what exactly does the reciept number mean? I actually am the one who files to my wife and I'm a citizen... so in the light this info... what do you think is the next step would be? is it possible to anticipate some kind of time line? three month? four months?...

Thanks again