I-130 supporting docs

worldpeace

Registered Users (C)
My sister is a US citizen and wants to apply for parents GC. The I-130 instructions mention supporting doc as birth certificate. My sister's birth certificate name does not match the one on her US passport. The question is: do we have to get the name changed - a time consuming procedure or can we submit alternative documents; if so, what are they? Specifically, the docs required are to prove 1. US citizenship of my sister and 2. establish relationship between herself and her mother. Can the passport serve for 1. and for 2. what can we provide? Please provide info.
Thanks in advance

worldpeace

Worldpeace:

The I-130 doesn't require a Birth Certificate of the petitioner which is ur sister. It requires Birth Certificate of the beneficiary which would be your parents.

Please read the instructions carefully. How can you sister's date of birth be different than on the US passport, just a question?

-Guccidkny

worldpeace

I am sorry. I got mistaken with the Date of Birth. What doesn't match on her passport, the first name or the last name. If she has a different last name, she must have done a change of name. She would need to submit her affidavit of name change.

-Guccidkny

guccidkny,
Here is the excerpt from the INS webpage:

<start excerpt>
If you are applying to bring your mother to live in the United States, you must file the following with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
If your name or your mother’s name is different now than at the time of your birth, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either
your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
your U.S. passport
<end excerpt>

My sister's passport name is different from the Birth certificate because my parents did not give the first name at the time of birth since she wasn't named then so her birth cert has name as
"Female YYYYY" and passport has actual name "ZZZZ YYYYY".
So, the two dont match but there has been no legal name change.

Thanks for your response.