I-130 Question 18 and 19

addunw

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am applying for Adjustment of Status (Green Card) through my USC spouse. I am living in US and currently on H1.

We were filling out Form 1-130 and were confused about Q18 and Q19.

Q18: Address in the United States where your relative intends to live.
Do we just write our current address in US.

Q19: Your relative's address abroad.
Since I am already in US, should we just write "N/A- Currently residing in USA".

Thanks

I wrote my current address for Q18, since thats where i currently live and intend to - for the next few months atleast.
For Q19 - I wrote my previous address abroad ( the one where i used to live before i came to the US).

Ok, Yeah that is what I did before, but then somebody told me that if you are living in US then you should put N/A or None in Q19.

It's was a little confusing.

Thanks

I agree, it can be a little confusing. My guess is - for such a question, it won't make a huge difference one way or the other.
Maybe other users on this forum can shed some light.

I called 800 customer service and the agent I spoke with said you can't leave anything blank, and she must have an address overseas that she goes back to. So, my wife put down her parents address in her home country. I think if USCIS determines that you are not eligible to adjust status and send the I-130 approval on to NVC, then NVC will use that address to determine which consulate to send you to. On the question further down the page that ask what city would they adjust status we put down, "Baltimore, Maryland" and where it asked for the consulate if they are unable to adjust we left blank.

My wife was eligible to adjust status and the I-130 was approved with no questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dlunar,

I thougt for question 22 you would put Chicago IL because that is where the application goes to. So do I put chicago IL or do we have to put the city and state of the local USCIS office where we will be interviewed.

Thanks

Thanks dlunar,

I thougt for question 22 you would put Chicago IL because that is where the application goes to. So do I put chicago IL or do we have to put the city and state of the local USCIS office where we will be interviewed.

Thanks

For question 22 put down the city and state of the local office of USCIS for your address. Baltimore covers the entire state of Maryland so that is why we put down Baltimore. If you don't know what city your local field office is in, go to www.uscis.gov and click on "Find a USCIS office" on the left hand side under "Other Services."

What happens is all family based I-485 (and I-130 if filed concurrently) are sent to a lockbox in Chicago. Chicago organizes the file and does data entry. The file is then sent to the National Benefits Center (NBC or MSC) which used to be know as the Missouri Service Center. NBC then reviews the file (including issuing RFE if needed) and schedules the applicant for fingerprinting. When the file is ready for the interview it is sent on to the local office for the interview stage.