I-130 for mother who is handicapped

dilarossi

Registered Users (C)
I am a U.S. citizen and would like submit a form I-130 and try to bring my mother to the U.S.. She is legally an invalid, can barely move around and needs to be in a wheelchair. Will she be able to apply for any sort of assitance once here? She is 63 years old.

Her medical condtion is documented in her country and she has a nurse come in and help her with things.

healthorn

I am a U.S. citizen and would like submit a form I-130 and try to bring my mother to the U.S.. She is legally an invalid, can barely move around and needs to be in a wheelchair. Will she be able to apply for any sort of assitance once here?

No, the US is very restrictive about public assistance for immigrants. She must become a citizen or have a green card for at least 5 years to qualify for Medicaid, and you may be held liable for benefits she claims before she's a citizen. And if she's too disabled to work, buying health insurance will be massively expensive or impossible.

It would be very tough financially. Her condition might worsen, she might require trips to ER, who knows what might happen. I don't want to take the risk. :(