I-130 Approved Lpr/ Became Us Citizen

sawaal13

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask a question. I had filed a petition for my wife for I-130 when I was a LPR. The I-130 was approved last year in aug and we were waiting for a visa number. But I (the husband) became a US citizen last month.

Can my spouse apply for her 485 adjustment of status right away or do we need to change our status at Vermont to citizen.
Can someone explain the process and the forms needed

thank you

You can:

1. Update your petition: from LPR's spouse to citizen's spouse. After that you can apply for I-485, I-765 and I-131... etc.
CONS: You may have a hard time upgrading your petition.

2. Withdraw your old I-130, then apply for I-130, I-485, I-... all together.
PROS: Faster.
CONS: Waste $.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask a question. I had filed a petition for my wife for I-130 when I was a LPR. The I-130 was approved last year in aug and we were waiting for a visa number. But I (the husband) became a US citizen last month.

Can my spouse apply for her 485 adjustment of status right away or do we need to change our status at Vermont to citizen.
Can someone explain the process and the forms needed

thank you

How did the I-485 filing go for your wife? I too am in the same boat as you were. My spouse is an H1B working in US. I had filed his I-130 in 2004 that got approved the same year. I am about to get my citizenship next month. Is it correct that my spouse can apply I-485 with the approved I-130 without having to upgrade the case or do I need to call USCIS and upgrade the case?

I would appreciate a response.

How did the I-485 filing go for your wife? I too am in the same boat as you were. My spouse is an H1B working in US. I had filed his I-130 in 2004 that got approved the same year. I am about to get my citizenship next month. Is it correct that my spouse can apply I-485 with the approved I-130 without having to upgrade the case or do I need to call USCIS and upgrade the case?

I would appreciate a response.

And now April last year... :rolleyes: it is getting better.

HI Guys, I need someone that has gone through this experience to please advice on this post. I am a LPR (3 yrs now in USA), I filed I 130 for my wife on May and now I have received the approval notice that her file has been transfered to NVC, she lives in Nigeria, for how long do we still have to wait for her to get here. What are the steps that still lie ahead of us? I have called NVC many times but it's like their number is something else. Do i need to contact American Embassy in Nigeria, her Priority Date is Current now for month of Nov, someone please advice , this is urgent.