I-129 confusion with 2nd TN renewal

designerd

I'm filing for an extension of TN status for my second time (by mail), as a graphic designer, with the same employer. Although I was able to fill out the I-129 last year without help, I'm finding some things a bit confusing 2nd time around.

In Part 2, question 3, I have the "Petition receipt number" as my original I-94 number (as stated on last year's approval notice I-797A).
In question 4, I have the "Prior Petition" number as the receipt number (as stated on last year's I-797A)

The reason I'm confused is because I visited Canada this year, and upon reentry to the U.S. they made me fill out another I-94 card and stapled it in my passport with the detachable I-94 portion that came with my I-797A. This new card they had me fill out has it's own number, so now I'm confused which I-94 number to use. Do you always use the same I-94 number when you extend your status multiple times, or has my number changed because I went home to visit?

In Part 3, question 2. It asks again for my I-94# as well as "Date of Last Arrival". Is this the date I came back from my last visit as indicated on the stamp in my passport? Or is this the date that I originally came to the U.S. to work?

Lastly In Part 4, question 7, do I answer yes to "Have you ever filed an immigrant petition for any person in this petition" because I've applied for an extension before? Or is an "immigrant petition" something else?
Question 9 asks "Have you previously filed a petition for this person?" which I've answered yes... but what kind of explanation do they need on a separate paper? Can this answer just be included in my support letter?

To further complicate things I noticed after I'd already taken the flight back to the U.S. that the immigration officer who made me fill out a new I-94 card wrote my "class" as H1B, which is not true! (although he kept my expiration of status as it should be, August 12, 2008). Is this going to complicate matters, since I'll need to include a photocopy of this document with my petition???

Any advice on the above issues would be SO HELPFUL! Thank you!!!

The petition number and the I-94 number are never the same. That is why they ask for both.

Immigrant petition is I-140 or I-485.

The previous petetion is last years I-129.

as to the H1-B error, just treat this as a typo. But in future be a little more vigilant, it is your responsibility.

getting there...

Thanks for responding, nelsona.
After digging through some old threads on this site, and googling like I've never googled before, I think most of this is becoming clear.

However, I feel like I still need affirmation that Part 2 questions #3 and #4 should both state my receipt number (starting with EAC) from last year's I-797A, yes? (When I filed for my first extension I had my I-94 # in those spots because I had no previous petition... and that seemed to work.)

I now understand that my I-94# is different from last year's. And as for the typo on my I-94 (where they wrote H1B where it should say TN), research shows that I can have this corrected at a CBP deferred inspection site. So I'll try to fix that, to avoid confusion with my petition.

It seems that for Part 4, question #9, a separate sheet of paper with my previous application date, visa classification, and receipt number will suffice as an "explanation." Sound right?

If I sound like I'm needlessly answering my own questions out loud it's simply to allow somebody to catch any major errors in my research, if there are any, or to aid anyone else who may have the same questions.

last year you should have put NA for your petition number. I-94 is not a petition.

I-129 is not rocket science. Then again, nor is distinguishing between TN and H1.