Hw abt leaving employer soon

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
I know this has been discussed before but wondering if someone can comment on my case.

I got my Green card 2 weeks back after working for this company 3 years.
Limited raises, no promotions and do not want me to move to other teams because they dont have people to replace me with. They keep on losing people.

Now from my systems analyst position I tried moving to Sr system analyst / Business analyst position which is actually a good fit to my skills sets I acquired during these few years. But was turned down becos they dont have people to takeup my position. At the same time I have all the skills needed as an applicant (masters degree, business school certificate) for these positions as they advertised on web site. At same time no recognition, pay rises and they keep on pushing me towards programming side while I try to move towards funcitonal side which is what i did before coming into the company and which is what they promised me when I joined.

Question is if this is a valid reason for me to change my jobs soon because of
career progression and deadend job/mistreatment.

One of my colleagues changed jobs after 3 months with no hassles after getting green card. An external attorney deals with all the immigration matters.

thanks for your comments.

leaving soon

Do I need to have documentation to proove this in case of litigation?

The other employer has also left because of lack of career progression and mistreatment.

harsha_c said:
I know this has been discussed before but wondering if someone can comment on my case.

I got my Green card 2 weeks back after working for this company 3 years.
Limited raises, no promotions and do not want me to move to other teams because they dont have people to replace me with. They keep on losing people.

Now from my systems analyst position I tried moving to Sr system analyst / Business analyst position which is actually a good fit to my skills sets I acquired during these few years. But was turned down becos they dont have people to takeup my position. At the same time I have all the skills needed as an applicant (masters degree, business school certificate) for these positions as they advertised on web site. At same time no recognition, pay rises and they keep on pushing me towards programming side while I try to move towards funcitonal side which is what i did before coming into the company and which is what they promised me when I joined.

Question is if this is a valid reason for me to change my jobs soon because of
career progression and deadend job/mistreatment.

One of my colleagues changed jobs after 3 months with no hassles after getting green card. An external attorney deals with all the immigration matters.

thanks for your comments.

This issue has been beaten to death on this particular forum. At this point, you are a free man and really do not need a reason to leave, and litigation is unlikely. You can come and go as you please.

However, remember that you got your GC for the current position and not the position that you think you should be in. The premise was that the company needed you in the present job permanently, and so you got your GC.

It would be best to just work quitely for a reasonable time (few months at least) while looking for a job appropriate to your skills here in the company or somewhere else. That way, you do not get get trouble with the USCIS when it is time to apply for citizenship.

The answer to your question is that this is NOT a reason to change your job, because you applied for GC for this job. Now saying that you never wanted to be in the job in the first place will be contradicting yourself.

But as I said, after you have worked here for some time, you really do not need a "reason" to leave. Just think that your GC was delayed by a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
The decision depends on your risk tolerance. If your risk tolerance is 0% (if you are one of those fellows who want every thing without any risk :p ), then stick on to the job for 6 months or more. If you are not averse to taking slight risk (with less than 5% probability) then just stay for 1 month after GC and then do what ever you like. If you don't care about risk, then jump the ship 1 day after getting the GC :D .

Thanks for responses folks,
I am going through the forum to read the other posts.

Harsha

Hi Harsha,

I never worked for my GC sponerer even a single day due to personal reasons.

But, i worked in the similar job for 8 months after my GC.

Now i am on vacation and relaxing (beleive me....could be 2 years vacation :D ).