Husband, Wife Oath Letters Sent Seperately?

obajaj

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

I received my Oath Letter 3 days ago, but my wife hasn't received hers yet.
Our District Office is San Antonio and we were interviewed by different officers, although the officer who approved my case told me to tell my wife to tell her officer to make sure she is scheduled at the same place and time as me, for the Oath Ceremony. We both were "recommended for approval" on the same day (February 7th), but by different officers.

Does anyone know if the oath letters are usually received on the same day?
Are the oath ceremonies guaranteed to be on the same day for husband and wife? (My ceremony is 90 miles away and we don't want to have to make 2 separate trips for 2 oath ceremonies).

Besides, we are wondering why my wife hasn't received hers yet.

Can anyone please comment based on personal experience?

Give it another day or 2. When is your Oath ?

Sometimes even letters sent the same day don't arrive the same day. For example my Father in Law sent 3 cards to my kids for valentines day. 2 got here Valentines Day, the other one got here today.

Give it a few days and see if it still comes

And yes they would be sent seperatly if you asking if they would be in the same envelope my answer would be no

Thanks for the reply Ladybuggy,

My oath is scheduled for March 13. I'm hoping my wife's is also scheduled the same day.

Yes, I do know that the letters would be in separate envelopes. I was just wondering if they would be generated/mailed on the same day.

Yes, I was thinking maybe its just a delay/inconsistence with the post office. I'll probably wait another day or 2, as the President's Day postal holiday yesterday might have created extra work for the post office today.

Thanks.

Are the oath ceremonies guaranteed to be on the same day for husband and wife? (My ceremony is 90 miles away and we don't want to have to make 2 separate trips for 2 oath ceremonies).

Besides, we are wondering why my wife hasn't received hers yet.

Can anyone please comment based on personal experience?

I'm in the DFW area and up to and including the interview, my wife and I did everything on the same day. We even had the same IO who commented to me that it was great that we are applying together and that we should be able to do the oath together.

That didn't happen. I had my oath about 1 month after the interview and my wife had hers 6 weeks after my oath. Like you, we were worried and thought her oath letter was lost in the mail so she did an Infopass to find out what was going on.

We also had our oaths in different places. Mine was in Plano and her's was in Dallas itself.

derekleewo,

Thanks for the info. Wow! It looks like it must have been a mistake!
Did anyone say (e.g. during the infopass) why that happened?

I guess if this all gets done, then I would be really glad to be done with the USCIS for good. I just wish they would improve their internal processes for such silly things like this. I'm glad I didn't pay the higher processing fees for such bad service.

Next we must play the waiting game for the U.S. Passports, but thats the last stop!

My wife and I were interviewed one the same day by different officers. Both of us were given the "recommended for approval" slip, but for some reason she had to wait over a month longer for her oath date.

Next we must play the waiting game for the U.S. Passports, but thats the last stop!

That's the easy step. I had my passport 9 calendar days after dropping it off at the Post Office. That was in Nov. My wife got hers in 7 calendar days. She did hers in Dec.

Oath date different

we were interviewed by two separate officers on same day.

Husband's interview resulted in Officer asking for latest copy of DMV statement and hence Husband had to go to DMV and pay 5 dollars and return and show report to officer and pay 12 dollars parking and officer approved Case.
Husband (me) did oath on Feb 1

Wife's case was approved by Officer few hours earlier during interview and received oath letter around Feb 7 for feb 21 Oath date.

Of course we were worried and did not know if the case was held back by senior officer who had some additional queries or lost in mail and we also went and made an info pass appointment and also called on telephone.

Finally God smiled and INS sent the mail with Oath letter

Tomorrow is the big event and 13000 people will be sworn in at Los Angeles Downtown in two batches of 6500 each

Parking lots around Staples center will make a lot of money and all 13000 people will wave flags and most of them will apply for US passports within a few days.

Life is fun when things fall into place.

We are from India and tomorrow the next step will start
Apply for Wife's US Passport and then

Cancel Indian Passport and apply for OCI (life long visa for India)

:cool::cool::cool:

My wife has written and mailed a letter to the IO who approved her to request the same day Oath as my letter indicates for me.

She referenced her Application Number, Alien Number and provided a copy of her approval and my oath letter along with the letter. Further she has explained in the letter that I have already received my oath letter, but she hasn't received hers yet and she wants to impress on the IO that we would prefer not to have to make 2 trips of 100 miles each for separate oath ceremonies.

Calling the USCIS National Hotline was useless, as they only gave her the standard "Your Case is Pending" reply. Further, we could not find the local number of the local DO (San Antonio, TX: Four Winds Drive address) on the web, so she was forced to write a letter.

Hopefully they will respond and send her the oath letter before my oath ceremony on March 13. Lets see what happens. I will post my experience with this here....

Does anyone know why this happens? (Is it just a glitch in the system or is it that they do some further processing on a wife's application before her oath is scheduled?)

Wife received her oath letter too.

We just received my wife's oath letter in the mail (6 days after I received mine), so my wife went back to the post office and luckily her letter that she had addressed to the IO was still there, so she got it back and a refund.
(We thought its better to get the letter back, just to prevent confusion at the end of the IO, lest they should cancel my/our oaths in the process!)

Looks like we're almost done!

so my wife went back to the post office and luckily her letter that she had addressed to the IO was still there

OT: What sort of post office do you have that holds onto items you have mailed for more 6 days without mailing them? Glad to hear you did not need that letter delivered!!

OT: What sort of post office do you have that holds onto items you have mailed for more 6 days without mailing them? Glad to hear you did not need that letter delivered!!

It wasn't 6 days! It was a few hours between the time my wife mailed the letter and I checked today's mail to find her oath letter. I didn't think the Post Office would let her have her letter back, but hey! They did!

obajaj,

Though unrelated to immigration, I'd like to ask you how the experience was getting back the letter...was there not security/privacy concern? How did the post office give the letter back to you? What proof did they ask of you?

Getting back the letter.

I didn't go to the post office. It was my wife who got the letter back. She tells me that she asked one of the persons behind the counter about getting the letter back. That person was uncooperative and just closed the counter on her, as he was going on some kind of a break.

She then approached another person and explained very briefly the situation. The person asked whom the letter was addressed to. She mentioned USCIS. He then asked her her last name. He then went inside and came out with her letter. No ID, no security. I was quite surprised to hear about it. Beats me.

I didn't go to the post office. It was my wife who got the letter back. She tells me that she asked one of the persons behind the counter about getting the letter back. That person was uncooperative and just closed the counter on her, as he was going on some kind of a break.

She then approached another person and explained very briefly the situation. The person asked whom the letter was addressed to. She mentioned USCIS. He then asked her her last name. He then went inside and came out with her letter. No ID, no security. I was quite surprised to hear about it. Beats me.

Thats really bad! :mad: :eek:

Imagine if someone else (maliciously) can walk in and get your letter! Sheesh!