Husband maybe lost job, what to do now? Thank You.

NYvs

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My husband is primary I-485 applicant(still pending), I-140 approved, H1b. He applied EAD in early Sep this year, and this week his boss told his department that they are going lay off one person in his department after evaluation(next week), now they have 3 person, and one has very good relationship with the boss, so looks like there is 50% chance that he could loss this job.

His EAD still pending, looks he only can get it in Nov, what can he do now? He will start look for a new job, but if he losses his job(we hope that NEVER NEVER happen) next week, how long can he llook for a new job? Is there any time limit? Like 2 weeks ,1 month? Is it leagal to stay here and spend time look a new job?What should we do now?

Really worried, please help us in this, thank you very much!

Once your I-485 is applied it is legal to stay. Since your husband's EAD has not come as yet, and I believe from your post the h1b is still valid, ask him to transter his h1 to a new employer. Since your I-140 is approved you should be fine(mostly).
--Naveen Oshos

Thank you very much!

Some companies he asked won't do H1B for people like us, if he can't find a company to transfer the H1B, can he wait for EAD and then go to company to work?
Thank you!

Definitely. You may however have to take care of one thing.
IF your husband is called for an interview, he will have to have a future employment letter from the company for a job offer in a similar category. Again IF he is called for an interview

--Naveen Oshos

Last edited by a moderator:
Has he completed 180 days after filing 485? He can change employment (AC21) only after 485 pending for more than 180 days.
Good Luck.

NYvs said:
Hello,

My husband is primary I-485 applicant(still pending), I-140 approved, H1b. He applied EAD in early Sep this year, and this week his boss told his department that they are going lay off one person in his department after evaluation(next week), now they have 3 person, and one has very good relationship with the boss, so looks like there is 50% chance that he could loss this job.

His EAD still pending, looks he only can get it in Nov, what can he do now? He will start look for a new job, but if he losses his job(we hope that NEVER NEVER happen) next week, how long can he llook for a new job? Is there any time limit? Like 2 weeks ,1 month? Is it leagal to stay here and spend time look a new job?What should we do now?

Really worried, please help us in this, thank you very much!