HUGE NEWS!!! - 20,000 visas NOT limited to holders of US Master's Degrees!

Jim Mills

Registered Users (C)
First, CIS misses the statutory deadline for making the additional 20,000 visas available. Then, the day of the deadline (today) they say “We have already processed 20,000 H-1Bs with Masters in FY 2005, so the additional 20,000 are available to everyone. BUT, do not file until further notice in the Federal Register since we are still working on regs/guidance.”

OH MY GOD!

Wow. This is indeed huge news! I'm surprised there have been so few replies! Or maybe everybody is busy shooting off LCAs faxes :)

With this new change, the cap will be reached in one day after the release date as there are no restrictions on the applicants degrees. :eek:

royally screwed

thats what most of my friends are gonna be!!
they have been banking on this for a long time man ...
:O

why the cold response from the guys here??

h1 b 20k...forum moderators

1)can i apply for this 20k h1b quota .I'm not MS student. ???
2)When should I apply...??
3)whats the validity date for this 20k quota...is it anytime now or oct'05??

Pls keep posting the updated news..also the forum moderators

drao said:
1)can i apply for this 20k h1b quota .I'm not MS student. ???
2)When should I apply...??
3)whats the validity date for this 20k quota...is it anytime now or oct'05??

Pls keep posting the updated news..also the forum moderators

You have to wait Until USCIS publish the regulation Notice to the Federal Register to apply for H-1B.

Hey! Hang on!! The USCIS is really a bundle of surprises... so its better to wait until we see the text of the regulations to be published shortly in the Federal Register.

Though this may sound like a good news, I am really doubtful whether the CIS can actually open the 20000 visas to all. The H-1B visa Reform Act mentions these visas as exemption from the cap. So if they are available to all, how can they be an exemption? Will it tantamount to raising the cap to 85,000.

I am sure, USCIS has some more surprise in store which they will unearth in the Federal Register.

Federal Register

I visited the Federal Register today, and they don't seem to have any update regarding the new H-1B. Does the federal register publishe on weekends as well?

Chris Brunot said:
So if they are available to all, how can they be an exemption? Will it tantamount to raising the cap to 85,000

Yes, I feel it is clearly against the intent of the congress in this bill. But as Jim pointed out, USCIS screwed up logic can say, we gave 20k to MS students already, so the extension is already completed!! I've not seen a more arrogant and lawless govt organization than USCIS..

Ready for more arrogance?

talkative said:
Yes, I feel it is clearly against the intent of the congress in this bill. But as Jim pointed out, USCIS screwed up logic can say, we gave 20k to MS students already, so the extension is already completed!! I've not seen a more arrogant and lawless govt organization than USCIS..

On Friday, USCIS quietly published a new I-129 form. This form purported to supercede prior forms and prior forms were not to be used. Well, there were a number of questions and attorneys were scrambling to redo forms. Then, today, USCIS announced that the old forms could be used until April 30, 2005 but notations would need to be added to the I-129W so that USCIS could track the filings.

Things are changing day by day and announcements are happening sometimes more than once a day. Attorneys who do not track these changes are going to have major problems since if a petition is rejected, the additional cap will probably be reached before the attorney gets the case back and realizes the error.