HR 440 - Good for Immigrants

I can understand your difference of opinion regarding this bill. And I agree that after all this bill might end up in the trash can.

But, just because we are already in the 485 process doesn't mean that we should not let this bill help others who aren't as fortunate. For example, I know of friends/relatives whose Labor applications have been withdrawn by their companies due to the joblessness among Americans.

These guys are just like us, i.e., hard-working, law-abiding, tax-paying residents of the US who are not fortunate enough to proceed with their green card applications due to the poor economy.

It is people like these who will benefit the most from such a bill being enacted into law. Obviously, the Senate is not going to agree on illegals taking advantage of this. I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. Don't try and beat this discussion to death even before the Bill reaches the Senate :)

Official Sponsors

Out of the original 15 co-sponsors, some have withdrawn. Here is the list of official sponsors.

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 440
To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to adjust the status of certain aliens with longstanding ties to the United States to that of an alien lawfully admitted to permanent residence, to promote family unity, to improve national security, to modify provisions of such Act affecting removal of aliens from the United States, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 29, 2003
Mr. GUTIERREZ (for himself, Mrs. NAPOLITANO, Mr. PASTOR, Mr. SERRANO, Ms. SOLIS, Mr. GRIJALVA, and Mr. ACEVEDO-VILA) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

Real Canadian,

I u/stand one can have multiple AOSs under different categories- EB, Family etc.

If an individual currently on AOS [or otherwise], expects trouble in GC approval, why can't s/he avail of this opportinuty [ if available !!] ? I don't mean illegals !! but professionals like us..

livefree8,

The word "undocumented" has been deleted from the official version submitted to the house.

Thanks and Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Agree whole heartedly with you Mavishka. If the economy turns bad several other folks who are in their “safe” jobs could end up having problems. I know of a few folks who have studied and lived in the US for more than a decade leave and go back because the bad economy cost their jobs.