• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How valuable is the green card for you?

gabam

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I hope you're all fine. The question is very straightforward. How valuable and important is the green card for you? Please share your thoughts!!!!

Very valuable for me because I'd always planned to move out of Africa if I ever got the chance even if I left my business interests here to keep generating income plus my brother is in America already waiting for his paperwork to come through and eventually we'd all like to live there as a family.

Bottom line - a future US citizenship = security.

Personal opinion - America is just AWESOME and I LOVE it there! If anyone is willing to work hard or has a sound financial background, one can have a very good life in America.

Not that valuable to me... its just a permit to work legally, it does not guarantee that you will settle in USA and be better off than in your current country.

Its a great opportunity that is not to be missed... but again there is no guarantee you will achieve a better life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that valuable to me... its just a permit to work legally, it does not guarantee that you will settle in USA and be better off than in your current country.

Out of curiosity if it isn't valuable to you then why did you apply for it?

Out of curiosity if it isn't valuable to you then why did you apply for it?

it was our first time and we had no idea that we would win...

Dont get me wrong we are going to try live in USA, but as I mentioned above this GC to us does not necessary mean that USA will be a better place to live...

Having a premament residence card is just a start... many people born and live in USA with US passports and struggle to make a living, a lot of them live below poverty line...
We are just new immigrants most of the time with no US education or registration, so it is hard enough for people who were born there, it will be much harder for us.

On top of that Green card and then US passport does come with few heavy drawbacks... for example I dont want to see my sons who are between 18 and 26, be forced to join army to fight a war somewhere, neither do I want to be taxed by US government while living on other end of earth...

Is a valuable asset but not the most valuable of all.
As I already said in some other threads , GC will be a big step for me and my gf. It will be the opportunity to live a better life and to have more opportunities to grow both social and professional in a special country that gives more opportunities than any other country (IMHO).
But as Lazder said, US will not guarantee you anything without a fight. Even if you'll fight, there is no guarantee of success as many US citizens or legal residents are already struggling with their life and winning a GC will put one in the line of struggling for a better place. In the line that grows bigger and bigger every second. And if any of you here are dreaming about milk and honey along with the GC - you better consider it again until get that selection to the interview.
Bottom line - the DV process and a GC is a big chance to a better life but not a guarantee. Is a valuable and important step and we all hope to go on the right path.

The value of DV green card literally? About $10K. That's how much you'd pay in extra lawyer fees if you go for an EB green card. Maybe little less if lucky. DV green card saves money, hassle and stress. So it is actually invaluable for somebody who is already in US and living tethered to a certain visa/employer/school, feeling the stress of being "temporary", living in a constant state of alert, like DEFCON 3, ready for anything at any moment. And you get used to that stress and mindset, so much so that you don't even realize how much stress it was until after it is over. Having green card is like the relax you feel in your every fiber, the surprising feeling that you can let your guard down, you finally belong, like going back to DEFCON 5.

For somebody outside the US? It is a welcome novelty, a good luck charm falling into one's laps, an "if it works it works, if it doesn't I don't care" attitude, a nice-to-have option, maybe the best thing ever happened, maybe something that just so happened.

The value of DV green card literally? About $10K. That's how much you'd pay in extra lawyer fees if you go for an EB green card. Maybe little less if lucky. DV green card saves money, hassle and stress. So it is actually invaluable for somebody who is already in US and living tethered to a certain visa/employer/school, feeling the stress of being "temporary", living in a constant state of alert, like DEFCON 3, ready for anything at any moment. And you get used to that stress and mindset, so much so that you don't even realize how much stress it was until after it is over. Having green card is like the relax you feel in your every fiber, the surprising feeling that you can let your guard down, you finally belong, like going back to DEFCON 5.

For somebody outside the US? It is a welcome novelty, a good luck charm falling into one's laps, an "if it works it works, if it doesn't I don't care" attitude, a nice-to-have option, maybe the best thing ever happened, maybe something that just so happened.

yeah I think AOS GC is far more valuable, since people finally get sense of security.

For me, it means a chance to be somewhere I feel more comfortable in. Where I feel I belong right now at this time of my life. And closer to the things I enjoy, and the people I like.

Having a US citizen step-father since I was 11 (but been traveling there since I was 8), I feel a huge part of my life has revolved around the US. Spending most second Christmas holidays there when I was younger with my family, it was just completely different from here in Australia and the way we do things. I've always enjoyed the US more than I have Australia. Just so many things about it that I like more than here. I find life much more boring here, I'm not sure why. I just feel like I fit in more there, and can do more, and I'm probably quite patriotic too for the US so that doesn't go down so well here with people I know. People think I'm crazy wanting to move there, but I feel like it's where I need to be.

Sure, there's things about it that worry me - how people struggle there. I know people who struggle there, and it is scary that it is a possibility I too could end up like that. But I try to not think about that part.. I've been unemployed here since January 2012 - luckily I'm a student so I've still got something to do but it's been impossible for me to find a job here, but I am managing, somehow..

I also find that my interests and hobbies aren't as suited to here...

I guess, overall, the green card to me means everything right now...

Very valuable and very important.
I have always been dreaming about it.
Growing up in a communist ruled country, US was always the dream land.
Also, becoming an adult in an insignificant country, you always had a feeling, that you aren't even regarded as human. Hungary? What is that? Is that a country? Nobody cares about Hungary and Hungarians, every powerful country (Sovietunion, Austrian Empire, Turkish Empire) could do whatever they wanted with Hungarians, and nobody cared a bit.
Maybe it is a bit different now, but not largely. The EU doesn't intervene when our despotic government takes all the private pension funds from the very people who elected them. It's even impossible to explain this to somebody from the 'West', because they cannot even imagine this kind of attrocity to happen.
I don't want to live in a country where the government can take your pension savings just like that.
And more importantly than ever, I don't want my children to grow up like that.
When communism ended, we wanted freedom, and this freedom is becoming less and less here.
On the other hand, if you are an American citizen, all of a sudden, you become important. The whole world economy hangs on the consumption of Americans, and everybody, even China etc. wants America to consume more. Isn't that great? There is a price of course, but much better than being insignificant and unimportant, and left lying and dying by the road of forgotten nations.
And America protects its citizens, you cannot be dealt like with anybody from an insignificant country, if America stands behind you.
I want my kids to have more options than I had. Their opportunities will be much larger than mine, and it gives me joy.
That is why the GC is the most important for me.

Very valuable and very important.
I have always been dreaming about it.
Growing up in a communist ruled country, US was always the dream land.
Also, becoming an adult in an insignificant country, you always had a feeling, that you aren't even regarded as human. Hungary? What is that? Is that a country? Nobody cares about Hungary and Hungarians, every powerful country (Sovietunion, Austrian Empire, Turkish Empire) could do whatever they wanted with Hungarians, and nobody cared a bit.
Maybe it is a bit different now, but not largely. The EU doesn't intervene when our despotic government takes all the private pension funds from the very people who elected them. It's even impossible to explain this to somebody from the 'West', because they cannot even imagine this kind of attrocity to happen.
I don't want to live in a country where the government can take your pension savings just like that.
And more importantly than ever, I don't want my children to grow up like that.
When communism ended, we wanted freedom, and this freedom is becoming less and less here.
On the other hand, if you are an American citizen, all of a sudden, you become important. The whole world economy hangs on the consumption of Americans, and everybody, even China etc. wants America to consume more. Isn't that great? There is a price of course, but much better than being insignificant and unimportant, and left lying and dying by the road of forgotten nations.
And America protects its citizens, you cannot be dealt like with anybody from an insignificant country, if America stands behind you.
I want my kids to have more options than I had. Their opportunities will be much larger than mine, and it gives me joy.
That is why the GC is the most important for me.
Good luck with your journey to US then. By the way, after moving to US, you will miss one thing, you will miss some very beautiful faces. Because, I have heard that Hungarians are one of the most naturally beautiful people of the world.

I agree with Momo. To me its very valuable. I have kids
and i believe they will get the best education. Personally,
I would like to go for further studies in Harvard.

Jobs opportunities, better salary, more interesting jobs, i am in tech and at least 80% of companies in this field are based in USA, i like the lifestyle, bigger&cheaper houses in comparison with Europe, better road system, ridiculously cheap driver licence, price products are cheaper than in Europe, movies and tv shows (i am always downloading those things that Americans can watch directly on their tv), some services like Netflix that don't exist in my country, almost very new products (phone, computers, movies in theatres) came first in USA then in others part of the world, beautiful landscapes, different weathers.

The GC would mean a lot to me, hope is all i got lol, chances are pretty slim sadly.

@gabam I am Romanian, not Hungarian. Romanians are beautiful people as well. Most of the Eastern Europeans are beautiful that's for sure. One thing though > I am living away from Romania, in Madrid-Spain, since 2009. So missing my Romanians will not be a big change, I already miss them here in Spain :D But I can always make a trip to my home country to visit relatives and friends as I am doing every some months since 2009.
@Boo3 I'm a tech pro as well and moving to US will mean more opportunities and interesting jobs as well. Among all those other things that you mention. Further more, my gf is studying to become an MD and moving to US will give her the opportunity to enroll on some top class residency programs and fellowships. So yes, US means a lot for any GC pursuer for sure.

@gabam I am Romanian, not Hungarian. Romanians are beautiful people as well. Most of the Eastern Europeans are beautiful that's for sure. One thing though > I am living away from Romania, in Madrid-Spain, since 2009. So missing my Romanians will not be a big change, I already miss them here in Spain :D But I can always make a trip to my home country to visit relatives and friends as I am doing every some months since 2009.
@Boo3 I'm a tech pro as well and moving to US will mean more opportunities and interesting jobs as well. Among all those other things that you mention. Further more, my gf is studying to become an MD and moving to US will give her the opportunity to enroll on some top class residency programs and fellowships. So yes, US means a lot for any GC pursuer for sure.

Yes, I agree with you on this. I believe well over 95% people(especially women) are beautiful in eastern Europe, they are very lucky!!!!!!

when i graduate from the university in USA 2009 , i was in need for the green card to have my job , because i already found but no GC :(

today , i have a stable job back home good paying (comparing to the level of living in my home country) i dont know if i really in need

Good luck with your journey to US then. By the way, after moving to US, you will miss one thing, you will miss some very beautiful faces. Because, I have heard that Hungarians are one of the most naturally beautiful people of the world.
Thanks.
I am taking my family, and they're all the people I am caring for and I can look at their beautiful Hungarian faces :)