How uscis is going to process and approve pending retrogressed 485s?

eppo_varum_enGC

Registered Users (C)
Sofar, USCIS was processing 485s based on the receipt date, rather than PD. In future, how uscis is going to process and approve pending retrogressed 485s? Is it practically possible for them to rearrange pending 485s in PD order, and approve sequencely?

I feel that the main reason for cutoff date is to clear the massively pending unadjudicated 485s, till then USCIS do not want to accept anymore new 485s. USCIS annual report explained clearly that, as DOS gauging visas based on rate of 485 approvals, not by the pending 485s. It is not right. Therefore (because of wrong metering), so many persons filed 485s, though enough visa numbers were not available and enjoying interim benefits (EAD, AP, SSN). Per USCIS report 2005, its goal is to stop/minimize the interim benefits. Stopping the new 485s will help the USCIS in concentrating in clearing the backlogs. That is why, DOS/CIS has setup the cutoff dates very far back (1998/1999), though there may not be much pending LC/140/485s with PD with the year 1998/1999. I feel that USCIS may approve some old cases eb2/3 (may be PD 2000) between Oct1 to Oct 31. Will it be right?

this is my take even though many people disagree.

i think the retrogression is just to stop the applications from piling up, i think they will keep processing already filed applications in whatever sequence they were doing before, but of course they will approve only when a visa is available.

and from all the calculations i have seen, i think they will be able to cover most of the applicants under the currently available visa numbers.

this assumption is based on the logic, that they have calculated or estimated remaining visa numbers and existing applications and based on that they limit new applications.

Think we will know more in the forum with Oct approval posts

as per some of the PD trackers we have hardly 5 cases of 98, about 10 of 99, about 20 of 2000. so guess the thing to watch for is forum postings of arrpovals in Oct
eppo_varum_enGC said:
Sofar, USCIS was processing 485s based on the receipt date, rather than PD. In future, how uscis is going to process and approve pending retrogressed 485s? Is it practically possible for them to rearrange pending 485s in PD order, and approve sequencely?

I feel that the main reason for cutoff date is to clear the massively pending unadjudicated 485s, till then USCIS do not want to accept anymore new 485s. USCIS annual report explained clearly that, as DOS gauging visas based on rate of 485 approvals, not by the pending 485s. It is not right. Therefore (because of wrong metering), so many persons filed 485s, though enough visa numbers were not available and enjoying interim benefits (EAD, AP, SSN). Per USCIS report 2005, its goal is to stop/minimize the interim benefits. Stopping the new 485s will help the USCIS in concentrating in clearing the backlogs. That is why, DOS/CIS has setup the cutoff dates very far back (1998/1999), though there may not be much pending LC/140/485s with PD with the year 1998/1999. I feel that USCIS may approve some old cases eb2/3 (may be PD 2000) between Oct1 to Oct 31. Will it be right?

krprasad said:
this is my take even though many people disagree.

i think the retrogression is just to stop the applications from piling up, i think they will keep processing already filed applications in whatever sequence they were doing before, but of course they will approve only when a visa is available.

I agree with you. I think this was more of a stop-gap measure to prevent new applications from adding to the already huge pile of backlogged applications.

Maybe they will change the way they do business? That is, only move the priority date forward when they have the capacity to process more applications? In other words, once they have enough backlogged applications to eat up next years visa, set the date so that no new applications are filed.

mdh