how to waive 2 year home stay requirement?

flower#1

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I don't know if this topic has already been discussed before.

I came to US through student exchange program (J1). After completing the program, ,I got F1. I am a F1 student now. but I have still two year home stay requirement I have to fulfil.

I am searching information how to waive this requirement. Is there any way to get away from that requirement?

Has anybody had similar experience?
thanks

Only if your J-1 program was not sponsored by the US or your home government, in which case you can pursue a "no objection" waiver, or if you marry a US citizen, in which case you can try a "extreme hardship" waiver.

Only if your J-1 program was not sponsored by the US or your home government, in which case you can pursue a "no objection" waiver, or if you marry a US citizen, in which case you can try a "extreme hardship" waiver.

thank you nscagony for the responce
it was sponsored by US gov. It means that I can not get it waived?

Are there any other options (employment or smth) available to request a waiver except marriage with US citizen?

any kinds of suggestions are appreciated.

Hy
Im looking for help ...i get marriage with a american residence 4 moths a go and i came to USA with the J1 visa.... and i have the 2 year rule apply ..and i dont know if i can apply for the amercian residence if i have this rule...or i need to go back peru and stay there for 2 years..please if you know about this help me

Hi Flower, I think you may be able to give me a clue to something I want to do. I came here on J-1 but now I want to change to F-1. I noticed in your post that you were able to change to F-1. How did you go about this without having got a waiver? Pls let me know. Thanks

Hi kbslomo,

I know many people who procedded from J-1 student status (2 years rule does apply) to F-1 student status. When their J-1 visa got closed to expire, they had two choices to continue their school program. Some extended (renewed?) their J-1 visa (J-1 program sponser had to agree for this) and some switched to F-1 visa. F-1 visa is non-immigrant visa and 2 years rule does not bother you. (Work-visa is a different case.) 2 years rule will remain with you, even you switched to F-1 visa. Someday, you have to complete the requirement pr apply for waiver.

good luck!