How to start a very simple small business in the US?

huimeizheng

Registered Users (C)
I want to help people by picking them up at the airport and find a living place for them before they arrive. I will also create a website to advertise myself. I need everything be legal from day one, and I can give my customers a receipt. Where should I do to register for my small company (do I even need to have a company for such a thing?) Which department of my local government do I need to go? Do I need to pay certain money to the government before even I earn money? Can anyone give me a clue? Thank you very much.

I may not be totally correct on this so verify with your local county clerks office which deals with business registrations. I have some idea since I had earlier registered and conducted business in USA.

You should check your state's Office of clerk for business registration, download necessary forms for business registration, in the form you will have to fill in business code which you can find from the form instructions or connecting website. Pay the fees by check (usually between $25-100) and mail the form, in a weeks time if you have filled the form properly you will receive a business registration certificate. I am not sure whether it is before or after, but you will also have to get FEIN number from federal agency which you can apply online for free. Fill in an online form and you will be issued a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) since when performing business you need to keep your personal and business assets and liabilities separate, so that in case business fails or some one sues you, your personal assets are not affected. I would therefore suggest you to open a LLC (Limited Liability Company) or a LLP (Limited Liability Partnership, in case you are doing the business as partner with someone). This classification is important to avoid troubles in future as in US it is very easy to get sued for even small matters and one law suite can prove disastrous for you company if your turnover and profits are so small then you can't manage the law suite with your business income and in that case your personal assets are be used to make up to compensate the plaintiff in case you loose.

Second you might have to pay quarterly or yearly taxes, check with your state clerks office again about this rules. They also have people who may be able to assist you *a little* as in US, most of the time they will expect you to consult a business attorney to seek advice which may prove to be expensive. So think on that, do your ground work before, so that you are clear about various rules and facts so that you don't require a lot of advice at the time of performing your business tasks. You will also have to register your business on the state business tax website, get an ID and there you can get instructions how and when to file business taxes.

Lastly, at the time of filling a federal tax I would suggest you to use the online tax filing service like TAXACT.com or other since they will fill your 1040 form after asking you simple questions about your personal income, business income etc. And you can also fill your state taxes from there. It would cost your around $20 but if you keep on looking at their web site they run promotions where you can file for $12 or so for both federal and state.

You should also open a business account/ apply for business credit card on business name and keep business transactions limited to that business bank account/ credit card, so that you don't mix them with your personal income or assets, just in case something goes wrong in future. If business is only your current source of income it would be wise to withdraw a certain amount monthly from profits to pay for yourself. That is accepted as long as you can justify yourself being an employee of your company.

Remember getting FEIN is very important since without that you wont be able to open a bank account or apply for a credit card. Its like SSN for an individual and all your business transactions are traced using this number.

Last edited by a moderator:
you do realize that there is hundreds of services like that already in existence ..I think you should think about something else

hi

I may not be totally correct on this so verify with your local county clerks office which deals with business registrations. I have some idea since I had earlier registered and conducted business in USA.

You should check your state's Office of clerk for business registration, download necessary forms for business registration, in the form you will have to fill in business code which you can find from the form instructions or connecting website. Pay the fees by check (usually between $25-100) and mail the form, in a weeks time if you have filled the form properly you will receive a business registration certificate. I am not sure whether it is before or after, but you will also have to get FEIN number from federal agency which you can apply online for free. Fill in an online form and you will be issued a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) since when performing business you need to keep your personal and business assets and liabilities separate, so that in case business fails or some one sues you, your personal assets are not affected. I would therefore suggest you to open a LLC (Limited Liability Company) or a LLP (Limited Liability Partnership, in case you are doing the business as partner with someone). This classification is important to avoid troubles in future as in US it is very easy to get sued for even small matters and one law suite can prove disastrous for you company if your turnover and profits are so small then you can't manage the law suite with your business income and in that case your personal assets are be used to make up to compensate the plaintiff in case you loose.

Second you might have to pay quarterly or yearly taxes, check with your state clerks office again about this rules. They also have people who may be able to assist you *a little* as in US, most of the time they will expect you to consult a business attorney to seek advice which may prove to be expensive. So think on that, do your ground work before, so that you are clear about various rules and facts so that you don't require a lot of advice at the time of performing your business tasks. You will also have to register your business on the state business tax website, get an ID and there you can get instructions how and when to file business taxes.

Lastly, at the time of filling a federal tax I would suggest you to use the online tax filing service like TAXACT.com or other since they will fill your 1040 form after asking you simple questions about your personal income, business income etc. And you can also fill your state taxes from there. It would cost your around $20 but if you keep on looking at their web site they run promotions where you can file for $12 or so for both federal and state.

You should also open a business account/ apply for business credit card on business name and keep business transactions limited to that business bank account/ credit card, so that you don't mix them with your personal income or assets, just in case something goes wrong in future. If business is only your current source of income it would be wise to withdraw a certain amount monthly from profits to pay for yourself. That is accepted as long as you can justify yourself being an employee of your company.

Remember getting FEIN is very important since without that you wont be able to open a bank account or apply for a credit card. Its like SSN for an individual and all your business transactions are traced using this number.

Am a new immigrant to the US and i have 5yrs experience of cargo to my country from Dubai and China. I identified the business after consulting and some research on it. Could you be having info on how to start such a business both customs and government regulations? Your 1cent of mind will be highly appreciated.

A business of food & beverages is best to start in USA as this is the only business which will never go down and its demand will increase day by day. Start this business on small scale and then step by step enhance it, This business will surely give you very good profit.

I think the economic future of usa is uncertain. Unemployment is up sharply. Credit is tight and it is a great time to start a business in us.. The first question you have to ask yourself that which are the sectors where you have knowledge, skills, and contacts to operate in.. And Many of the Best Small Businesses to Start can be run from a home office, cutting start-up costs...

You can buy a business from the very best franchise opportunities that match your lifestyle, business, and financial goals.Best Bet Franchise consultants provide a FREE franchise consultation service to help you identify the best franchise business to meet your business ownership dreams.