How to show national impact?

xlf

Hi,
I am preparing the materials for NIW. My lawyer want the documents to show national impact of my work? such as report in media, application in industry. However, it is hard for me to collect these document. How do you guys collect these document?
Appreciate your suggestion!

Re

My answer:
Ph.D in materials science
Research field: nanomaterials, fuel cells (clean energy)
Qulification:
12 papers (7 first author)
5 conference presentation
1 patent pending

Could not tell much about your research background based on the info you provided. But, the field of clean energy such as Fuel Cell is clearly the field beneficial to the national interest. During the past 2 years, US goverment ever lanunch big budget to support the research on the clean energy such as eletrical automobile. President Bush give a very positive push in this aspect. Remember quite clearly there is a one page news published in "Nature" 2-3 years ago. That news is with the big picture from President bush standing in front of a electrical powered car.

If you think such information is helpful, go to google, search "President Bush, clean Energy" you will find the media report regarding the importance of developing clean energy.

xlf said:
My answer:
Ph.D in materials science
Research field: nanomaterials, fuel cells (clean energy)
Qulification:
12 papers (7 first author)
5 conference presentation
1 patent pending

The questions is not if you work in a field of national interest (most of us do) but if your personal qualifications are so unique and important that nobody in your field with some qualification could do the same work. It would be nessary that you provide more background information about yourself to answer such questions.

Thanks for your reply.
More specifically, my research is to develope less expensive, more effecient catalysts for fuel cell, which is a promissing but expensive technology. The significance of my work is to make fuel cell more efficient and commerically availble.
My achievement:
1. developped a nove synthesis method to prepare less expensive (50% cheaper) and more active (2 time) catalyst.
this paper have been cited 12 time in 2 years
2. discovered the structure-performance relationship, which is important for catalyst design.
this paper pubished last year, 3 citations
3. reduce the amount of catalyst required for fuel cell by 8 time (cost saving)
published this year, no citation yet.
4. a new active materials for fuel cell using methanol as fuel.
this paper was cited 4 time.

total citation about 20, because most of my publication is in 2004-2005.

I can find tons of report about my field. The only confusing problem is they are not for my work. I guess it is not very common that sb's work was reported in the media unless he is a big shot.
what is your opion?

xlf said:
Thanks for your reply.
More specifically, my research is to develope less expensive, more effecient catalysts for fuel cell, which is a promissing but expensive technology. The significance of my work is to make fuel cell more efficient and commerically availble.
My achievement:
1. developped a nove synthesis method to prepare less expensive (50% cheaper) and more active (2 time) catalyst.
this paper have been cited 12 time in 2 years
2. discovered the structure-performance relationship, which is important for catalyst design.
this paper pubished last year, 3 citations
3. reduce the amount of catalyst required for fuel cell by 8 time (cost saving)
published this year, no citation yet.
4. a new active materials for fuel cell using methanol as fuel.
this paper was cited 4 time.

total citation about 20, because most of my publication is in 2004-2005.

I can find tons of report about my field. The only confusing problem is they are not for my work. I guess it is not very common that sb's work was reported in the media unless he is a big shot.
what is your opion?

I agree with NIW-Nov 04: You might fit into the OR category but it will be very tough for you in NIW. You wrote:"I can find tons of report about my field. The only confusing problem is they are not for my work." But that is exactly the point, for NIW the reports have to be about your personal achievements not about the field in general otherwise NIW would be pretty simple to get. Also your number of citations is very low even for relative recent papers to show your impact on the scientific community.

Thanks a lot for your advice. My lawyer insist on NIW for me. Maybe I have to think it over.

Well I kinda agree to disagree...

If you can produce >10 strong independent letters (importantly from govt. agencies), have reviewed work for journals and can get letters from journal editors, and your papers are in good journals. That your attorney does a good job. I would think NIW is doable.

On the other hand, if you have not reviewed work for journals, and most of your letters are from immediate circle. I could see potential problems with NIW.

In my case, I had ~20 publications published in the last <3 years with ~30 citations, but had ~15 letters (>5 from govt agencies), reviewed work for 10 journals and several grant proposals and the case was approved without an RFE.

So see for yourself if you credentials speak for you.

Cheers....