How to reclaim lost US citizenship?

jnwong

Registered Users (C)
My friend's dad was born out of the US in 1932. His grandma is a US citizen that immigrated to the US in the 70's.

According to the citizenship law governing children born before May 24, 1934, my friend's dad, who's still living overseas, can derive US citizenship from his mother, who is a US citizen and has been physically present in the US.

But the problem is--the grandma has passed away many years ago in the US. Her citizenship certificate and US passport can no longer be found.

How can my friend's dad obtain proof of his mother's citizenship? Is there any database with US government where his mother's proof of citizenship may be pulled out? He knows his mother's full name. He also has proof of his relationship with his deceased mother.

Or can he check with the US consulate where his mother applied for immigration in the 70's?

Please advise. Thanks.

One more correction:

The grandma is a US-born citizen that has lived overseas for over 20 years till 70's, when she applied a new passport from the consulate to get back home.

So, when my friend's dad was born, his mother is a US citizen already while his dad (the grandfather) is not.

Is there any contact information from the US government where my friend's dad may get proof of his mother's citizenship?