how to organize the 140 exhibition for EB1b

antsss

Registered Users (C)
I am DIY now and wondering how to organize it efficiently to make it clear and attractive.

Can any of you give me your checklist?

Some more questions:
(1) when I print papers, I should print full text or just the pape with my name?

(2) The citations, I should attach to each paper or use a separate exhibition?

Thanks a lot.

Antss:

Attach a couple of your own papers (which you've authored). If you have many, select the most important ones.

For citations, you need not split it based on which paper they've cited. But just attach the specific page where they have cited you and the Bibliography page which has your paper listed. Sometimes the works just mentions your work as one of your methods while others discuss in detail your approach, results and conclusions. It is these which are invaluable, make sure they are on top of the pile and also highlight the specific sentences.

So create a specific section called "Citations" and attach all these here.

I personally had the Headings (Sections) printed on a single sheet: Big and Bold, this way it looks more organized and pleasing to the eye.

Cheers and Good luck

There are many, many ways to do it.... the lawyer at my institution encourages EB1Bs to DIY without any input from him or anyone else, so that each package looks unique, tells your own story, and does not look like you are using a boilerplate or template from others. In his view, the more unique it is, the more you will stand out, and that is the whole idea.

For my packet, I did it a bit differently from most in this forum. I told a "story" of my research, emphasizing international recognition for each piece in the story. My cover letter described each important achievement in my career as a timeline, rather than just counting things up. The evidence then followed this pattern as well.

For example, something like:
In 2001, Dr. WaryOR completed a research project which showed that ABC was related to XYZ. This was an important finding because it was the first time that XXX. As noted by Professor GHGH of the University of Other Country in his attached letter of support, "This finding paved the way for other researchers to understand how ABC relates to XYZ, and blah blah". The findings from this research were presented by Dr. WaryOR in a plenary presenation at the annual Yada Yada meeting, attended by researchers from over XX countries. The manuscript was published in the Journal of YYY, the leading journal in the field of ABC, with circulation in over XX countries. As further evidence of the international impact of this research, over XX researchers from YY countries have cited this paper.

Then repeat for your next significant finding.

Keep in mind, everything you do for the OR category has to show international recognition. If you have a paper that has never been cited by anyone from outside the US or your home country, it may hurt you more than help you.

If you have ever received requests for reprints of your papers from foreign researchers, this is evidence that your work is of interest to others internationally. Keep all those requests.

I included a complete copy of my papers where I was first author, and the face page of the rest. I did not include papers that cited my work, just the printout from ISI of the papers that had cited me. I also printed out lists of the countries from which those citing papers had come.

(In ISI, you can actually select which fields you want to display in your listing, one of them is country)

For an OR package, everything has to demonstrate that people in other countries know about your work and consider it to be important. Read some of the AAO decisions on the USCIS website to get a feel for this-- it is different from an EA or NIW case where you are trying to present the same content, but in a different way.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply, WaryOR and eb1b2006.

It is really a nice board here. People are so warmhearted.

There are many, many ways to do it.... the lawyer at my institution encourages EB1Bs to DIY without any input from him or anyone else, so that each package looks unique, tells your own story, and does not look like you are using a boilerplate or template from others. In his view, the more unique it is, the more you will stand out, and that is the whole idea.

For my packet, I did it a bit differently from most in this forum. I told a "story" of my research, emphasizing international recognition for each piece in the story. My cover letter described each important achievement in my career as a timeline, rather than just counting things up. The evidence then followed this pattern as well.

For example, something like:
In 2001, Dr. WaryOR completed a research project which showed that ABC was related to XYZ. This was an important finding because it was the first time that XXX. As noted by Professor GHGH of the University of Other Country in his attached letter of support, "This finding paved the way for other researchers to understand how ABC relates to XYZ, and blah blah". The findings from this research were presented by Dr. WaryOR in a plenary presenation at the annual Yada Yada meeting, attended by researchers from over XX countries. The manuscript was published in the Journal of YYY, the leading journal in the field of ABC, with circulation in over XX countries. As further evidence of the international impact of this research, over XX researchers from YY countries have cited this paper.

Then repeat for your next significant finding.

Keep in mind, everything you do for the OR category has to show international recognition. If you have a paper that has never been cited by anyone from outside the US or your home country, it may hurt you more than help you.

If you have ever received requests for reprints of your papers from foreign researchers, this is evidence that your work is of interest to others internationally. Keep all those requests.

I included a complete copy of my papers where I was first author, and the face page of the rest. I did not include papers that cited my work, just the printout from ISI of the papers that had cited me. I also printed out lists of the countries from which those citing papers had come.

(In ISI, you can actually select which fields you want to display in your listing, one of them is country)

For an OR package, everything has to demonstrate that people in other countries know about your work and consider it to be important. Read some of the AAO decisions on the USCIS website to get a feel for this-- it is different from an EA or NIW case where you are trying to present the same content, but in a different way.

Good luck!

eb1b2006 and WaryOR are obsolutely correct. Add all the documents possible in an order and make sure you flavor your cover letter for OR and not towards EA or NIW. Its very important.

In addition, i would like to add that, i have added all my publications (including 2nd author publications), citations (first page, the page where my article was cited and bibliography, and if you can, highly your reference and name with a highlighter, wont hurt).

Make sure you have strong recommendation letters and introduce your recommendation letters in your cover letter as well and structure your cover letter and list the following:

Your CV
educational documentation
Original scientific and scholarly contributions as outlined in the Letters of Reference/support
If you have patents or patents pending, add those as well
Memberships and its criteria
Scholarly articles (include abstracts)
Review of peers work (if you have been invited by journals to review manuscripts)
Citations (including significance of the journals)

Hope this helps:)

EB1-OR I140/485 FD 10/02/06
EB1-OR I140/485 ND 10/19/06
FP 11/20/06
AP/EAD - 12/20/2006
EB1-OR I140 AD 04/27/07 (regular)
EB1-OR I485 Pending

LQTOR has some good suggestions too-- one thing though, I would reconsider including patents-- I have seen several AAO decisions for EA, OR and NIW where they clearly say that patents pending are not evidence of anything (as anyone can file a patent for anything-- this does not prove any type of ability or recognition), and for approved patents, they have said that unless you document that others have used the technology/invention/process that was patented, there is still no evidence of extraordinary or outstanding ability just because a patent was approved (I think they actually say something like "if all patent holders in the US were considered to be outstanding, this would apply to so many people so as to lose all meaning" or something like that).

Just another thought, for what it's worth (can you tell I've spent a whole lot of time reading those AAO decisions? :)

What is AAO decisions? Can you give me a link, WaryOR?

Besides, I am a research associate in a biology lab. Acturally it is a postdoc position. But my boss wrote an appointment letter for me, stating my position is permanent. I don't know if any of you has successful experience in applying EB1b with a postdoc position. How I should state this position is permanent in my cover letter in order not to get a RFE?

for LQTOR:

If I add all the citations in (the refered page), the petition will be too thick. How do you assemble them? into one or two? If two, can it get lost during review process?

Last edited by a moderator:
As i said before, post-doctoral position is not a permenant position, as its not a tenure track position, heavily goes with your grant (fellowship) or your lab's grant (might be NIH in your case). USCIS might argue on this. Am sure somebody from this forum might add/give additional suggestions.

FP 11/20/06
AP/EAD - 12/20/2006
EB1-OR I485 Pending

yes. I agree. My boss is an investigator of Howard Hughes Medical Institute. so my fund is from HHMI funding. HHMI no tenure track position. They don't sponsor anybody for GC. I know that's my weakest point, but can I give a try? How to make this case stronger to avoid being RFE?

for LQTOR:

If I add all the citations in (the refered page), the petition will be too thick. How do you assemble them? into one or two? If two, can it get lost during review process?

It doesnt matter. You can assemble as one file (i think my file was ~5 inches thick).

Good luck!

FP 11/20/06
AP/EAD - 12/20/2006
EB1-OR I485 Pending

For the AAO decisions, click on the following at USCIS.gov

Click "Laws and Regulations" from the top menu
Click "Administrative Decisions" from the bottom middle of the page
Click the "after Aug 2000" folder

Happy reading! You'll want to focus on folders B3 and B2 (note there are a lot of incorrectly filed cases, but a lot of the wordage between EA, OR and NIW overlaps).

You may be in for a tough time with an OR given that you are HHMI-- my husband used to be an HHMI research associate, and there was no way they would sponsor. Even if your PI is willing to sign something saying permanent position, USCIS wants to see your offer letter, and have verification of the permanence of the position with the institution-- not the PI. You may be better off trying for EA or NIW.

Good luck!

Can you convince and get a letter from the department chairman as your position permanent so that you can argue (only if you get a rfe, that's your ace, do not bring it up upfront) you can be funded by the departmental operating fund (that's the university's budget fund and your dept. chair is vouching indirectly that) in case of NIH/HHMI is discontinued. Could be little tricky but if you can work it out will be solid..no question asked.

All the best and goodluck

thanks for suggestions. I have filed NIW in 2005 winter. It is approved in 2006. Because of the retrogression, I want to give a try on Eb1b. I may not be good enough for EB1a. So to try my luck, I should just attach the appointment letter saying my position is permanent, or also should include the offer letter which clearly says that this position is annually renewed? If I don't put the offer letter in, should the officer notice or I should give an explanation for not having the letter?

Another thing I need you guys suggestions:
My status is H1-B and husband is F1. This time, I should file only 140 or concurrently? If this case is rejected, will my husband be out of status if I file concurrently? What is the best way? Any suggestions are welcome.