How to obtain SSN for my wife ?

sonu99

Registered Users (C)
My wife arrived in the US on a H4 visa and I applied for her i-485 as a follow to join case and now she has her ead card. She wants to work on a part time job and they are asking for her SSN. Should I go to the local SSN office and obtain her SSN or is there any other process to get that ? Any help is appreciated.

--Sonu

No Title

Go to local Social Security Administration and apply for SSN. That simple, now a days it is taking around a month to get SSN with EAD.

Just go to the SSn office with your photoid(Passport) and the EAD...

Normal cases your SSN card will come in 2-3 weeks

She has to go in person

go to http://www.ssn.gov , find out where is your local SSN office. Ask her to go in person with passport, i-94, ead and any other picture id (if any). SSN application form is downloadable from the net and it is one page simple application. Within a month she will recv her ssn.

After Applying call...

Call 1-800-772-1213 after 24 - 48 hours passed. They will give you the number after asking Full name, DOB, Birth Place, Father\'s name and mother\'s name etc. You don\'t have to wait till the card arrives.

SS Number

I am not too sure about the SS Administration issuing SS Numbers on the basis of the EAD card, at least the same case applies to my wife, she also got added to my 485 application AFTER entering the US on an H-4 visa, Aparantely, the SS Administration here, in NH says that she would only get a number when they see either a 485 approval and/or the actual GCard itself.
They suggested that I get a Temporary TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER for her [TIN], which I got in about 15 days after filling up FORM W-7 from the IRS website: http://www.irs.gov

Zulu - my spouse got SSn based on EAD card only

My spouse entered US on H4 visa. Later she got EAD based on my i-485 application. After EAD card arrived by mail we went to SSN office and they did not ask any question. It was in Houston and in Sep 2001.
I dont know what are new regulations now !

My Wife got SSN with EAD

She applied for ssn at the local office with passport,EAD and drivers licence.They said it will take about 60 days to get it verified from the INS. She got the SSN number 4 months after making the application.This is because of the new rule that all EAD SSN applicants have to be verified at the INS database.

Looks like these are new regulations

May be they are strict now-a-days. In my wife case she got ssn in 3 weeks time ! Even if it is difficult to get SSN one can check with employer if it is OK to work with TIN.

My wife got SSN yesterday applied on Jun 07th

My wife applied SSN on Jun 7th with EAD. SSA wanted one more id so we gave AP as another id. They didn\'t ask any thing else. She said card will arrive in two weeks. Yesterday I called SSN office and got number over the phone. And Card arrived by mail yesterday. This is in New York.