How to go on EAD? Please excuse me if this question has been asked

greenhopeful

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
   I filed my 485 in Oct 00. I have a EAD card. My present H-1 is valid till 11/01. My company has said that it will let my H-1 expire. If I wanted to change to EAD with my company what are the steps? Will my lawyer have to notify INS that I am working with EAD now?

Thanks,
GreenHopeful

No Title

I remember somebody asking about it. Please check that. Hey, I dont know why guys are always finding shortcuts and asking the same question over and over. You have to fill a form with your employer called I-9 I guess. That is how you activate it.

No Title

I had the same question. my employer says I dont have to do anything.
I guess there is a section in the I-9 form where they can update any information.
if some1 has more information on this, please comment.

also once you go on EAD, what happens to the status of your spouse on h4. does the spouse go on EAD status too, although not working on EAD?

No Title

Thank you Dont Care and Ghati,
   I know it is a question that has been beaten down to death but yes, what happens to spouse after applicant goes on EAD? Also If I change jobs will are there any risks to letting go of my H-1?

GreenHopeful

No Title

Hey you two guys just want to start a new thread for this all over. I had replied some time back about this. There is no connection between EAD and H-4. If your wife is not willing to work you dont get an EAD for her. She continues to be in status till the 485 is adjudicated. Alternative to H4 is to get Advance parole, this is only for re-entering the country, with AP she cannot work. If your wife is on H1 she can work for any company after getting the EAD. But if she is the principal applicant then she looses her H1 if she joins any other company. Some companies allow you to quit with an intention of joining back after getting GC. This is another option, but if you quit you will loose your H1 status as you will not apply for a new H1. If you apply for an H1 from somebody else then you loose your GC process. I hope I have clarified.