How to get transferred to an IO when calling the 800 number

chan2288

Registered Users (C)
When I called the 1-800 customer service number, all I got were recorded messages. At what point can I be transferred to an IO, a real person so I can ask questions? I had my interview more than two months ago, decision pending because of related file. Will calling the 800 number get any info. about the status of my case? Thanks to all.

After listening to the status of your case, there is an option to talk to a customer representative; and you need to get through him/her first before getting to an IO. Browse through the posts, people have various ways to get to the IO.

When I called the 1-800 customer service number, all I got were recorded messages. At what point can I be transferred to an IO, a real person so I can ask questions? I had my interview more than two months ago, decision pending because of related file. Will calling the 800 number get any info. about the status of my case? Thanks to all.

They have 4 months to render a decision on your case after interview. Calling USCIS and speaking with IO will only confirm that.
Try making an Infopass instead since your DO has your file and can perhaps tell you more details about your status.

Dial 800 number and select 1-2-6, the officer will answer your phone.

That's incorrect. Option 1-2-6 will get you to a customer service agent. You would need to "tell" the customer service agent that you never received NOA or receipt number and that it's been more than 30 days since you filed. This triggers the agent to transfer your call to an IO.

but then don't you have to tell the IO your case/receipt number anyway?
what if they ask why you told the CS rep that you never got one?
or, are the IO's unaware of how you got to them? (don't the CS reps "alert" the IO why they're transferring the call?)

also: what if the CS says "tell me the A number and I'll look it up"?
then they'll just look at the case status online and tell you whatever is there, which you already know anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
but then don't you have to tell the IO your case/receipt number anyway?
what if they ask why you told the CS rep that you never got one?
or, are the IO's unaware of how you got to them? (don't the CS reps "alert" the IO why they're transferring the call?)

also: what if the CS says "tell me the A number and I'll look it up"?
then they'll just look at the case status online and tell you whatever is there, which you already know anyway)

Yes, you have to tell IO A# or receipt number, but IO has no idea what you told CSR since it's not a warm transfer and the info you provided to CSR does not carry over to IO. Once you reach IO just provide all the regular truthful info (ie not need to tell IO you haven't received receipt number since the purpose of telling the CSR that was to have them transfer you to IO)

The CSR can't search system by A#, they don't have case file access by A#.IOs have more access and can see more info about your file