How to get Driving violations proof ?

Starscream

Registered Users (C)
Called USCIS cust service this morning,
I asked them if I had to list all driving violations (such as the stupid stuff I have, Not stopping at a stop sign, not having my drivers license on me)
these are obvious very small little things, I paid the ticket, and alls done,

But she told me the officer doing my interview "might" just "might" ask about that, And she said obviously I can't lie and say no Ive never been to court, (I had to go for these)

Now I don't remember dates, but I know I "might" have had one or two other things, How can I get a copy of proof that I have nothing outstanding, I don't owe anyone anything, and Im in good standing?

(which by all right they could do them selfs with a simple check right?)
Obviously as everyone on these boards I want my immigration process to go with as minimal fuss as possible,
Also to mention I did not disclose these tickets on the application form as I didn't think I had to, I wasn't arrested, I don't have any points, so I figured I didn't have to list anything.

Where are you living (state)?

You can order your driver's record from DMV. Some states are offering this free of charge, some are charging $10-$30 for it.....some states are offering this service on-line, others are asking that you mail them request,....some are covering 30yr period, some are covering 5yr period only etc...surely some do not track parking ticket(s)....some do....etc.etc.

If you were ever at court, you can get court dispositions for small fee.

Every state is different.

But, it is not a big deal and you can get your record easily from any state in the nation. It will typically take 1-2 weeks (even less).

Last edited by a moderator:
Im in NJ,
Now a few of these were before I got my US drivers license,
(I drove on my British one hassle free for a while)

I also was pulled over with the British one, Didn't seem to matter,
Now from what I remember none of the things I went to court for were on my US drivers license,
Im wondering if it will even show up,

The latest N400 form and its instructions (Revision 11/01/06) have specifically mentioned not to be concerned about the Traffic Tickets (moving violations) if the fine is less than $500 or there was no DUI or arrests from that violation. A friend of mine mentioned that during his interview letter there were also specific instructions of the same.

NJ has on-line system for driver's records. You can click the link below:

NJ violations history

Then, select: "Get your driver history abstract online" and follow the instructions.

From what I know, NJ tracks exclusivelly so-called "points". You will only get points on your record for moving violations - points are not assessed for parking and other violations. In other words, any non-serious violations will not show up in your record.

If I were you, I would bring this with me to the interview, since this will signal absence of "serious" stuff, which is good news.

In addition, if I were you, I would also do an affidavit (with public notary) listing out all traffic tiket/violations and acknowleding that I paid them.

Overall, If I were you, I would list all of them on N-400, and bring with me affidavit(s), driving records, (if possible) cancelled checks/credit card stubs (showing that you paid your tickets), tickets, etc.

Also, if you know what you are doing, certain traffic violations under $500 are not required to be reported on N-400.

BTW: I never ever throw out paid ticket stubs :)

As you could notice, there are number of opinions on (traffic) tickets, and there were a numerous discussions on this issue on the forum. You need to find a way that you will feel comfortable with.....

Good luck!

FYI: Formally, your violations are not confined to US teritory, but they are world-wide. So, in that sense, you would need to get something from Britain. I assume that you can do the similar thing there. Sorry do not know British driving system. Worse case scenario - you can do an affidavit for British violations, too.

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are responsible for your actions.

Superstring, Thanks,

I did it online, Paid the $10 and got ( In thier words) a Certified Complete driver record, then it says "For use in Court or a BAR exam)
Not sure what a BAR exam is,

But the text reads for the record

"This is a printed copy of your driver history record certified to be a true abstract of your driving history by the Chief Administrator of the Motor Vehicle Commission. It will be mailed to the address on file for the driver license entered. It is NOT viewable online. Request a certified driver history record when you need to provide your driving record to an employer, an insurance company or for use in a court of law."

Now im wondering will just this do?

Or if anything shows up as in my record isnt clean as I thought it was then go to the court thats listed and get a copy?

Im not going to open my mouth and say Ive been to court unless he asks me,

When I went for my interview, I brought receipts for the two tickets in TX that I listed as well as a TX State driving record (which interestingly listed only one of the tickets); it said that all was well.

All of my other tickets were in Canada and were more than 15 years old. I listed them on the N-400 with approximate years and said that I paid them on time (on the forum).

None of this came up at the interview (Dallas DO, fall 2006)

Starscream...what you have should suffice.

When I went for my interview, I had brought a court issued statement that the fine was paid and that the case was dismissed and a print out of my DMV record that showed nothing was owed, no accidents etc. The Immigration Officer didn't even asked anything about the citation or for proof.

Don't stress about it....what you have should be just fine. If you want to be extra sure, you can also bring your DMV record to show there really is nothing outstanding. :)

Ok but I don't have proof of anything being paid, I never kept the tickets or the reciepts from the court,

I did however order the driving record from the DMV,
SO "if" that comes back to me with nothing on it Ill keep my mouth shut and hope for the best?

and if anything shows on the drivers report "then" go to the court and request a receipt of payment?

like I mentioned Im pretty sure all my "violations" were on my British licence and to be honest the court and the office just looked at my licence dumbfounded not really knowing what to do,
Hopefully nothing will show on my DMV report and nothing slows down my application.

Ive seen my receipt number on the image of my cashed check and still the number does not work on the USCIS website, I guess im being a little impaitent ;)

Starscream, glad I could help a bit. The paper you ordered from NJ website will work (do not worry about BAR etc. - this is just notice for ppl who need to argue their case in front of the court etc.).

I would agree with happigal. I would add maybe a couple of things...

Here is summary....."If I were you" advise....

1) Bring your NJ paper to the interview(one you paid $10)

2) Be forthcoming to IO officer and share that you had a "small" tickets but you did not report them since they were under $500 and you paid them off. You had no DUI arrest or any other serious offense.

3) Write down an affidavit under the oath and go to any notary to stamp it
- list all your tickets, and say you paid them
- include your NJ and British period
- this will take you 5 minutes and notaries are all over the place...

Do not show this to IO officer, until she/he asks for proof of paid tickets.
Do not show your NJ paper, until asked to produce proof of paid tickets
and that you are "clean"

4) [Optional] If possible, try to get a paper from British Authorities (something in line with NJ paper).

5) [Optional] Go to your local court and get the paper saying that there is no case where you are involved....

[Optional] If you have too much time on your hand, go though your credit card reports, bank statements and find cancelled check or charge that shows off that you paid ticket(s). Whatever you can find...even if it is only one.....

Your goal is to be honest and show that there is nothing to hide and that you will be a good citizen. If you have a right attitude and IO officer sees that you are very clean even about minor violations, he/she will be at ease with you. IOs have seen tons of ppl. They have a good nose for ppl who are trying to hide things. If you make them uncomfortable about something (even if it is not material for your application), they will immediatelly try to look for other things and start having a second take on things.

Your little tickets seem totally fine and not material to impact the citizenship process. In your case, it is about how you go about it, not what they are.....

Big warning: All this is under the assumption that you have REALLY only minor tickets (parking) and very few of them.....If you have anything serious like DUI, very high speeding....that is a different game....My assumption is that you DO NOT have these serious violations.

Lessons learned: KEEP YOUR PAID TICKET STUBS in the future. Regardless of citizenship application...... :)

Good luck!

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or an immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are responsible for your actions.

Starscream said:
Ive seen my receipt number on the image of my cashed check and still the number does not work on the USCIS website, I guess im being a little impaitent ;)

Yes, you are.....:) Wait for the NOA in your mail......This will include your actual receipt number written in legible form. You are reading the wrong number....it is a bit complicated for one to figure out case# from the scribbles on the back of your check....