How to get Concurrent TN

snehatest

My current TN is approved for 3 years and now I got another good job. What we need to tell the officer to get Concurrent TN at the port of Entry?
And if they approve Concurrent TN, Can we see two valid I94's online?

Both I94 numbers should be same or different?

Thank You in Advance

Yes, they MUST be different. You must mention that you will be keeping the first TN. Have a printout with you of the first one.

@nelsona, Today I went to Laredo port of entry and they did’t give me the concurrent TN. They said we don’t give you concurrent TN. They asked me to come back in two weeks after resigning the current job for new TN. Any suggestions how to convince them?

Go to another crossing, I guess. you could show them a copy af an I-129, which shows that you can get concurrent status by mail.

@nelsona Thank you for the quick response.

I have one more question. In 2018 I got a TN for 1 year and in three months I got another job, I went to Canada and while coming back in the airport I asked for the new TN and they gave me the new TN for 2 years. I didn't ask for the concurrent TN at that time. When I was checking those old I94’s I realized those two old I94’s has different numbers. Does that means those were the concurrent TN’s? If yes, we just need to ask the new TN at port of entry and we don’t need to tell them that I need to keep the current TN right?

Thanks in Advance for your help

Getting a new I-94 in no way implies that your previous one(s) are still valid. You need to specifically ask for a second I-94, and that your previous TN must remain valid.

Hello All,

Any one working on Concurrent TN's now? I need some help understanding how to ask for concurrent TN's at port of entry.

Thanks,
S

It's not a matter of knowing how to ask. You did ask. The problem was lack of knowledge at the southern border. Northern POEs issue second/third/etc TNs all the time, as it is more common for Cdns to be self-employed on TN (thus needing multiple TNs, one for each client) that Mexicans, since they need to go through many more steps to get even one TN than Cdns do.

Denial of multiple TN has never been brought up here, since it doesn't happen up north, nor does it happen on mail-in. They are always accepted.

But, just to review, you present yourself at the border, and, --as I'm sure you did-- you show your current I-94 in TN, and state I am requesting a second TN for a new employer. I will be keeping my current TN.

So, go back to my previous response: another crossing, or a copy of I-129 showing it is allowed.

@nelsona ,

I got the new TN for 3 years and I didn't give them the current I94. And two I94 numbers are different.
1. Does it mean two TN's are active and I can work for both employers as concurrent?
2. If i give notice to current employer and start working for new employer for a month and If I don't like the job new job and If the previous employer is ok to take me back Can I work for them using the previous I94 (Which is valid for two more years) or Do I need to get a new TN?

1. Yes
2, You can simply return to Firm A. No border visit required. I would mention this possibility to Firm A.

Hello All,

Any one working on Concurrent TN's now? I need some help understanding how to ask for concurrent TN's at port of entry.

Thanks,
S
Looks like I saw this message late but I went through the same experience in January.

The officer I dealt with had a different objection: "The computer won't let me create a new I-94 until the old one is expired".

I was able to overcome this by showing in my passport several instances where a TN entry had been stamped well before the expiry of the previous one.

Looks like you faced a different (more difficult objection) which was their insistence on cancelling the original permit as a prerequisite to issue a new one.

congratulations on getting it solved.

@nelsona ,

I got the new TN for 3 years and I didn't give them the current I94. And two I94 numbers are different.
1. Does it mean two TN's are active and I can work for both employers as concurrent?
2. If i give notice to current employer and start working for new employer for a month and If I don't like the job new job and If the previous employer is ok to take me back Can I work for them using the previous I94 (Which is valid for two more years) or Do I need to get a new TN?
Hi Sneha,

I had the same bitter experience an year ago at LAREDO POE when requested for concurrent TN. I am glad you knocked it out.
If it was at southern border, I am wondering how did they not took your first TN ?? Which POE gave you NEW TN with out stripping off existing TN ?