How to get 2006 Tax Transcript?

a_v1

Registered Users (C)
I called 3 weeks back and requested for Tax Transcripts for last 5 years (2006-2010). They sent me transcripts for 2007-2010 and a letter for 2006 explaining they only issue transcripts for current and past 3 years.

I saw posts on this forum where people got their transcripts for last 5 years. So I called again, spent another 30 min on phone and asked for 2006 transcript. The lady said that it is not a problem and ordered it. In couple of days I got the another letter explaining that they don't issue transcripts for years that are older than 3.

How did you get your transcripts? Is there any way to get 2006 transcript?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I saw this option earlier. I am looking for the free tax transcripts (to save money) as lot of forum members got them for last 5 years. I saw relative new threads where they got them when they talked to a rep.

I am planning to carry my copy of 2006 Tax document along with IRS letter (they don't provide more than 3 years old) if I don't get a free copy.

I called 3 weeks back and requested for Tax Transcripts for last 5 years (2006-2010). They sent me transcripts for 2007-2010 and a letter for 2006 explaining they only issue transcripts for current and past 3 years.

I saw posts on this forum where people got their transcripts for last 5 years. So I called again, spent another 30 min on phone and asked for 2006 transcript. The lady said that it is not a problem and ordered it. In couple of days I got the another letter explaining that they don't issue transcripts for years that are older than 3.

How did you get your transcripts? Is there any way to get 2006 transcript?

I would first try visiting a local IRS office in person. They may be able to give you a transcript of your 2006 tax return on the spot.
If that does not work, you can file a request by regular mail with IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

For 2007 and later years you can order a tax return transcript by phone or online:
http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=232219,00.html

I ordered transcripts for the last 4 years online and got them in the mail really fast. I also called about the transcript for 2006 and they told me to fill out form 4506t and mail or fax it to them. You can download that form at www dot irs dot gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf (please replace the word "dot" by an acual dot, I cannot post links yet).

Since I sent this form only a couple of days ago, I have not received my 2006 transcript yet and cannot tell if this worked.

Thanks for sharing this info. Two days back I mailed Form 4506t and waiting for their response. I will update you once I hear from IRS.

Thanks for sharing this info. Two days back I mailed Form 4506t and waiting for their response. I will update you once I hear from IRS.

I would also much recommend that you visit a local IRS office in person - they may be able to give you the transcript on the spot, for free.