how to count two-year residency

getvisa

I have a burning question to ask for help. If this question has been tackled, I am so sorry and please refer me to the appropriate thread.

I got a J-1 visa for my Master funded by Fulbright. So the two year rule applied on my visa back then. Then I got a GA-ship for a PhD. program. I somehow did not change to F1 and obtain a J-1 visa that is now sponsored by the university. The line "two year rule applies" is still on my school-sponsored J-1 visa. My question is

Can I count towards the two-year residence the days I spend in my home country during my doctoral program? Or the count does not start until I complete the doctoral program?

Please please help me with this.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
After your current J status ends, either on the end of program or you end the job and leave for two years. Go for a waiver if possible.

I have a burning question to ask for help. If this question has been tackled, I am so sorry and please refer me to the appropriate thread.

I got a J-1 visa for my Master funded by Fulbright. So the two year rule applied on my visa back then. Then I got a GA-ship for a PhD. program. I somehow did not change to F1 and obtain a J-1 visa that is now sponsored by the university. The line "two year rule applies" is still on my school-sponsored J-1 visa. My question is

Can I count towards the two-year residence the days I spend in my home country during my doctoral program? Or the count does not start until I complete the doctoral program?

Please please help me with this.

Thanks a lot.

Any visit during the program is NOT countable. The clock will start from the day you ride the plane, ship, car ...etc leaving the US heading to your country after you finished your program, fired from the program or volunterly ended it before its term. Any day you visit the US or any other country (other than your home country) will be added to the 2 year. For example if you spend one week in other country on your way to your country, then you have 2 years aplus one week, if you attend 2 days in US for meeting, then you have 2 years + one week + 2 days and so on.